Exporting 3D from Vectorworks into Rhino

Hi All,

I am trying to export some 3D massing models (pitched roofed house models for context to a site model) to rhino but I cannot get any consistent results. I have tried most of the 3D export options, but VW either flattens the 3D down to the 2D plane, or tears the 3D model into individual planes and then centres them on the origin. The only conversion that gives me approximate 3D house style shapes is the 3DS export option, but all the geometry goes a bit wonky.

Does anyone know a workflow I can use to export 'massing models' into usable 3D geometry I can import into another program.

Thank you.

Nicholas McLeod

I regularly go back and forth between Rhino and VW with model elements. Are you using "Export to Rhino"? I did some quick testing here and architectural elements export from VW into Rhino as expected. How is your massing model constructed (architectural PIOs, extrudes, solids, 3d surfaces)?

Some 3d export commands need to be run while VW is in a 3D view but that doesn't seem to be the case with "Export to Rhino". This may explain some of what you are seeing if you are using an alternate type of export.

Kevin

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just found out the best way.
Exporting massing models to .3ds is awful.. The geometry is incredibly inaccurate (???). Export to .3dm (rhino) is no better.
The cleanest way I have found to do this is Modify>Convert>Convert to 3D Polys, then save off as a .dwg in perspective view. The geometry is clean and accurate. None of the points stray from their positions as they always do in the other export options. I have struggled for over a year with different ways of getting Massing model geometry out into Rhino and this is the only option I have been satisfied with.

• Like 1