Need better control over contour label placement

G Troyer

Question

While VW contour label placement is better than it used to be it still isn't user friendly in my opinion.

I would like to be able to draw a polyline across the contour map and have a contour label placed wherever the polyline intersects with a contour line! Several other survey programs incorporate that feature. Currently I manually place contour labels using the text tool just because it is just too cumbersome to go in and delete multiple random labels and then drag the remaining ones to the correct location.

Also please give us the ability to set the decimal precision for contour labels without affecting the decimal precision for the rest of the drawing. This is another reason I still manually enter contour labels.

I guarantee Vectorworks will get rave reviews from most people who label contours if they give us this kind of requested control over contour labels.

If you agree please vote this wishlist item UP ! :-)

• Like 2

1 answer to this question

Agree, contour labels could be more flexible.  Years ago, ACAD allowed drawing a line to align the contour labels as described above.  also, do need ability to have independent decimal places separate from dimensions, etc. I rarely go below 1 foot intervals, and would set it to 1 as the precision limit.  Sometimes, go to .25, but rarely.

Also, want more control, line for proposed alignments. Existing contour labels should show up near the edge of viewports, just outside grade limits, and maybe (maybe) just once in the center.  At least, that is how I typically draw them.