Add Notes Field in OIP

Bruce Kieffer

Question

4 answers to this question

How would this translate to printed output? If I need to leave a note for the team I probably need to tell the builders. At the same time really see if value in being able to see those notes by touching the object in any view. 

Sorry a bugbear of mine is how much information Vectorworks BIM requires to work that doesn’t translate to deliverables.

I assumed these were working notes for the person working in the file. I could see using it as a place to remind myself of a material, a dimension, something to check, a date something was created, where an object was copied from, what an object started from or any number of other things. In a collaborative process the note field could contain something as simple as who modelled it. Ideally every object in VW would have this field. It could be useful to see the note by hovering over an object, like a tool tip. I don't think this is intended to be something that translates into part of a finished drawing.

Kevin

11 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I assumed these were working notes for the person working in the file. I could see using it as a place to remind myself of a material, a dimension, something to check, a date something was created, where an object was copied from, what an object started from or any number of other things. In a collaborative process the note field could contain something as simple as who modelled it. Ideally every object in VW would have this field. It could be useful to see the note by hovering over an object, like a tool tip. I don't think this is intended to be something that translates into part of a finished drawing.

Kevin

Exactly! And funny you should mention the idea of object info hover "tool tip." I was imagining that too the other day. Like a mini OIP. I think it would need to evoked with a keyboard command rather than hover, and have user configurable info that could be shown and whether it is on or off, and it needs to be small. Since I've been using spit screen I find I want an OIP in each screen, and this "info" functionality would solve that.