Something very weird !

Viper x

Or it may well be me who is weird, but

I have maybe 100 plant species placed in a drawing and I can not find any reference to 20 or more in the plant catalog ?

They are in the Plant list on the drawing no problems but they can not be found in the plant catalog.

I can see them in the PRD but not in the catalog.

I try to edit them in the PRD but it does not effect them in the drawing.

I have looked in all layers and in the actual folder but I can not find them.

I have been having a lot of trouble with a very unstable PRD and the plant catalog during this drawing so heavens knows where they are hiding.

Please can someone tell how to find the little buggers I need to edit them and send out the drawing ? [Eek!]

Thanks

Viper x

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

All plant definition symbols, to be visible in the Plant Catalog, i.e., to be seen in the plant catalog list in the Edit Plant Catalog... command, must be in a particular folder in your symbol library. If you cut or paste plants from one drawing to another, say, they will behave fine as plants but the Edit Plant Catalog command may not be able to "find" them. I'll look into increasing the reliability of this particular issue in a future version, but in the meantime the fix is easy. Look through your symbols in the drawing for plant definition symbols. These will be symbols with names that match your plant IDs. These should all be in the folder named "~PlantCatalog" that is inside the top-level symbol folder named "System Folder". Just move any plant definition symbols that are not in this location with the "move symbol" command (right-click on the symbol to access this).

I don't mean to head off on a tangent here, but I'm new to the plant catalogue, and Robert, I tried to follow your instructions re: moving symbols from the 2d and 3d folders to the plant catalogue folder. When I move the plant symbols from the 2d and 3d folders to the plant catalogue folder, they disappear from the 2d symbol selections in the Define Plant dialogue box (i.e., symbols are no longer available for editing). If I don't move them into the plant catalogue folder, the symbols remain available for selection; however, when I attach one of these symbols to a new plant, it does not show up in the plant catalogue.

Any idea what the problem is?

Those were not my intentions. The idea (as I stated before) was NOT to move items from the 2D and 3D symbol folders, but rather, to move plant definition symbols (these are symbols with names the same as a plant ID) to the plant catalog folder. This is for plant definitions that may have been cut-and-pasted from one document to another. I recommmend that you leave the 2D and 3D folders alone!

Can you explain this further Robert please. I can access the the plant catalog in the symbol folder and the plants I cant find are not in there but they are on the drawing how do I find the lost plants symbol for the lost plants and how do I get them to show up in the edit plant catalog box ?

thanks Viper x

I have looked at this file. The plants that are "missing" from the plant catalog are all custom plants, which are not part of the catalog. You may want to review page 124 of the on-line documentation regarding properties of the Plant object. I quote:

"CUSTOMIZE PLANT"

"Select the checkbox to customize the parameters of selected plants -- NOTE: Changes apply to selected plants and are not reflected in the Plant Catalog"

Thanks for looking at the drawing Robert.

I have read the entry in the landmark user guide 5-19, lets see if I can get it clear :

I have created a plant in the PC > I then customise that plant via the object info > this causes the plant to no longer be displayed or can be edited in PC > I can edit it individually via the Object info pallette, but it will never be displayed in the PC.

Is this right so far ?

If I now want it to get this plant back into the PC so I can include it in the PC so I can copy this particular PC to another project, how do I do it, or can I do it, I presume simply un -ticking of the customise plant check box in the object info will not do this ?

Do I have to delete this plant altogether and re enter it through a new entry in the PC or is it still there in some form ?

Thanks Viper x

Turning a "custom" plant into a "catalog" plant is not difficult. Here is the procedure:

1. Select your custom plant and duplicate it.

2. Select the duplicate. In the Info palette, check the "Show Plant Settings" checkbox. Set the placement mode to "Single Plant".

3. Set the Tag Display parameter to "None" and move the Tag control point into the region of the plant drawn area.

4. Use the Create Symbol command to create a symbol from your plant. The name of the symbol should be the same as its Plant ID. The "Use Plug-in Origin" box should be checked in the Create Symbol dialog. Uncheck the "Leave instance in place" checkbox. When you click OK, you will see a dialog to locate the symbol. Put it in the "~PlantCatalog" folder.

Now you have a Catalog plant that is the same as your custom plant.