domer1322

Render light shadows question

If you look at the attached image, you'll see a problem that has perplexed me for years.  How do you put a light object inside a light fixture, then realistically show light emitting from the fixture that doesn't show the structure of the fixture ?   In the image, I have a street light casting shadows from the light structure, but in real life, it never casts shadows like that.

I know I can make the light fixture with a transparent texture and the light goes through it, but then I can't see the fixture.  I also know I can set the light to not cast shadows, but then it doesn't act like a real light would do (it wouldn't cast shadows on anything).

Is this possible or should I give up ?

test parking light.jpg

Have you tried setting the texture that you use for the lamp post to not cast shadows?

Work out what geometry is casting the shadows you don’t want. Then apply a RW texture to just that geometry and make sure that the texture is set to not cast any shadows. - That should do it.

Mike and Markdd:

Thank you so much ... that solved it.   I guess that "cast shadows" check box on the texture was another obvious feature that wasn't so obvious to me ....

Something else you may want to try is to set the reflectivity on the glass texture to glow, and set a slightly yellowish color for the glow.  That will make the glass appear brighter, like it is lit up.  Turning on soft shadows for the light will give you a nicer shadow on the ground, and might even make the shadow cast by the vertical supports on the light box disappear.

image.thumb.png.e44be23d178263cd72fd22bac3665220.png

lamp_post.vwx