Viewport Crop not working

Set Designer

Question

Dear forum,
For some reason, when I create a viewport, cropping no longer happens and I no longer get the alert which asks me whether I want to use the 2-D object as my crop. I must have hit something by accident to make that go away. As a result, my viewports are coming out on the sheet uncropped! and I don't know how to fix that. Would be so grateful for any advice! thank you! Attached is screenshot of my uncropped viewport as seen on the sheet layer :(

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 7.23.30 PM.png

4 answers to this question

Regarding the first question, yes I have also noticed that the "use as crop" option seems to disable itself (or maybe it's some user error?). EDIT: On closer examination (reading the manual!) I discovered that if the desired Cropping Object is Selected during the Create Viewport it will automatically become the crop. Also, you can easily create a Crop. Just double click (or control click/right click) on a VP and choose Edit Crop. Once in the Crop Edit space, simply draw the desired shape. As a side note, often a drawing label is created with the VP and this can be far away, making the VP appear to be much larger than the cropped area. It is in the annotations and can be moved, or removed by entering the annotation space.

Thanks so much for quick response. Tried everything you suggest: shifted the drawing label to no avail; went to Edit Crop, but it didn't help because when I'm in there, there's nothing to grab onto and drag. Attaching perhaps a more clear screenshot of the dilemma: this is what I see once I have clicked Create Viewport: my actual 2-D object intended as a viewport is that large thick circle. And then there is this giant odd orange area which I can in no way diminish, at the bottom of which, you are correct, is the drawing label. :( 

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 10.49.56 PM.png

And for the other part of the question, why don't you get the The Selected Object can be used as crop dialog box.

This is a Yes/No dialog box and there is an extra check box that says Always do the selected option. 

At some point you checked this box and clicked No. Poof no more dialog box.

To get it back, you have to turn ALL of the Always do the Selected Action dialogs again dialogs back on. 

Go to Vectorworks Preference, Session tab, and click the Reset Saved Settings button.  Make sure the Always Do Selected Actions line is checked and click OK. You might be surprised at the other option you hid and forgot about as they start popping up again.