Z of lighting objects does not match the ruler

Collyns LD

Question

I have lighting objects inserted into a file but the Z of the lighting does not properly reflect on the ruler.

As a result,  all of my exports are showing up in other software at 100+ ft in the air...

Anyone have a fix for this? See attached screen shot for an example. This has never happened before i don't feel like making a new file... just looking for a Z fix. :)

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 1.38.26 PM.png

4 answers to this question

The first thing to say is that the Z height of the instrument is the correct height so use that. The ruler will change depending on the view and its relationship to either the active or any specific working plane currently active. Its a tricky concept to explain and always seems to come down to which one of these buttons is currently selected. 5a2a7057bf302_ScreenShot2017-12-08at10_53_26.thumb.png.a42cd7852f52a771da9fe347da2149f7.png

It also looks confusing if you are looking at an Isometric 3D view, ie not Top, Front, Left, Right etc.

If you are dragging instruments to change their height, then I advise you to do this in a non isometric view (Top, Front, Left, Right etc.) with Screen Plane active. That way the instrument will only move relative to the screen in front of you. To be honest, if you know by how far, the best way to move instruments is by using the Move 3d menu command. However, if you are in screen plane then all the other tools for moving and distribution objects will work well too.

The only way to really understand this is to make and save a couple of working planes. For instance, if I am working on a raked stage, then I will make and save a special working plane aligned to the rake. If you have many levels to your set, then you may want to create working planes based on some of these levels as well. Where that is useful is when you need to know the height of an instrument in relation to a particular height of your raked stage or set, then make the relevant working plane active and then highlight the box with the pink grid and the Z height will display the height of the instrument (or any other 3d object for the matter) in relation to the working plane that is currently active. 5a2a7206cfc6d_ScreenShot2017-12-08at11_05_21.thumb.png.9b09ee94b3031539ced9c54978391085.png

Phew! I hope that helps!

Edited by markdd
6 hours ago, markdd said:

The first thing to say is that the Z height of the instrument is the correct height so use that. The ruler will change depending on the view and its relationship to either the active or any specific working plane currently active. Its a tricky concept to explain and always seems to come down to which one of these buttons is currently selected. 5a2a7057bf302_ScreenShot2017-12-08at10_53_26.thumb.png.a42cd7852f52a771da9fe347da2149f7.png

It also looks confusing if you are looking at an Isometric 3D view, ie not Top, Front, Left, Right etc.

If you are dragging instruments to change their height, then I advise you to do this in a non isometric view (Top, Front, Left, Right etc.) with Screen Plane active. That way the instrument will only move relative to the screen in front of you. To be honest, if you know by how far, the best way to move instruments is by using the Move 3d menu command. However, if you are in screen plane then all the other tools for moving and distribution objects will work well too.

The only way to really understand this is to make and save a couple of working planes. For instance, if I am working on a raked stage, then I will make and save a special working plane aligned to the rake. If you have many levels to your set, then you may want to create working planes based on some of these levels as well. Where that is useful is when you need to know the height of an instrument in relation to a particular height of your raked stage or set, then make the relevant working plane active and then highlight the box with the pink grid and the Z height will display the height of the instrument (or any other 3d object for the matter) in relation to the working plane that is currently active. 5a2a7206cfc6d_ScreenShot2017-12-08at11_05_21.thumb.png.9b09ee94b3031539ced9c54978391085.png

Phew! I hope that helps!

Mark: Super helpful on the working planes pro tip. Thank you