Linking fields between objects

AdamR&L

In Spotlight, I am trying to extract and link information between jumper cables and lighting devices using the assign multicable circuits.  I know it must be possible, as the jumper cables already extract the position information into the location field.  But, I want it to go further and extract the Unit # information as well.  Any ideas??

How is it that you wish to do this?  The "Assign Multicable Circuits..." is the command that extracts the information.  The information it extracts is put into the Circuit fields of the selected Multicable.  If you want to change what is collected and put into the Circuit fields, you need to use the "Circuit Assign Preference..." command.  That command will let you select a different Lighting Device parameter to place in the Circuit fields of the selected Multicable.  If you want to do something different, what would that be?

Yes, I do understand that the "Assign Multicable Circuits" extracts information into the selected Multicable.  This works excellent, as the information that I want goes into the Multicable Circuit fields.  No issues there.  In addition to that information going into the Multicable, there is information that is automatically extracted into the individual Jumpers when they are automatically placed using the Assign Multicable Circuit command.  That information is "Position" information from the Lighting Device.  This "Position" information is automatically put into the "Location" field of the Jumper cables. I would like to additionally have the "Unit #" information automatically be extracted into the Jumper cables as well.  The Jumper cables know what light they are going to, I just want more information to be extracted so I do not have to manually input each Unit number into each cable.  This is very time consuming, but is a must for creating paperwork to build breakouts in the shop.

An understandable need, but currently, there is no way to do that.  I have heard from a bunch of people about different info they would like to pass between fixtures and cables, and additionally, functionality that will do appropriate deletions.  Hopefully this will be added in future versions.

Thinking about it.  I can probably create a modified "Assign Multicable Circuits" command that does what you wish.  Do you just want the Unit Number or would you want the position name  and unit number.  

For example: FOH - #9.

Can't give you an ETA for this, but working on it will be a nice occasional break from a currently onerous project.

Thank you Sam.  The position and unit number in two separate fields would be excellent.  Although, the "Position" from the Lighting Device already automatically goes into the "Location" field in the Jumper, so the Jumper would just need an add-on "Unit" field that extracts the info.  I did however figure out a temporary work around.  I have started labeling my Unit numbers with "Position - Unit#" like your example.  I then do a Find and Modify and copy the "Unit#" field to the "Position" field.  I renamed the Jumpers "Location" field to "Position - Unit#" within the Plug-In manager.  Now, the information that I want in the Jumper cable, extracts as a "Position and Unit#" number, just like your example.  Cable Tools is a powerful plug-in and I appreciate your help.  Let me know if you get around to making the modified "Assign Multicable Circuits" command.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't mind seeing the fixture take on the attribute of what cable its receiving.  For instance, if you run 10ft L6-20 and 25ft 5PIN jumpers to a fixture it would populate user fields for use downstream in paperwork and lighting tapes.

Unless there is a way of doing this already... I'm coming from about 12 years of AutoCAD.  All my symbols have cable fields for use in paperwork and truss tape.  Rather surprised VW doesn't have these fields implemented already.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rseybert said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the fixture take on the attribute of what cable its receiving.  For instance, if you run 10ft L6-20 and 25ft 5PIN jumpers to a fixture it would populate user fields for use downstream in paperwork and lighting tapes.

Unless there is a way of doing this already... I'm coming from about 12 years of AutoCAD.  All my symbols have cable fields for use in paperwork and truss tape.  Rather surprised VW doesn't have these fields implemented already.

I agree completely.  Once the cable is associated with the fixture it will make life so much easier.  Without it being associated to the fixture there's not much point on me doing all the clicking around that this tool requires.  I posted this to the wishlist two years ago but unfortunately it hasn't materialized yet...

Edited by Mike Myers