• Announcements

• JimW

How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
Sebastiaan

Spotlight Lable Legend Tool

Question

Hi,

I love vectorworks and I make al my stage and lighting designs with it. However I still use a third party plugin to label my lighting devices. Among other reasons because the label Legend is too cumbersome. 

I understand the benefit of a label legend to have a template for different lables and perhaps for some general directions like left, right, up, and down. 

However finalizing a technical drawing always requires me to make adjustments to the distance and direction of the label to the symbol. Typically I have a label with Unit number, universe, DMX address, muticable, multichannel and sometimes purpose and fixture modes. Moving a set of labels slightly further from the instrument now requires me to individually move each of the 7(!) little blue handles to the new desired position. That’s for each individual instrument. 

Imagine a truss circle with with lots of movers, mole’s and strobe close together and the task to create a clear and readable plot for the load in crew. Touching each and every blue handle of all of those symbols......

This is why I propose a label legend tool that could have some more features but the first and foremost feature would be:

The ability to move all of the blue handles of a set of lables attached to an instrument............at once!

This is would require less lable legends and far less clicks to make clear and readable plots. 

(Just like you already can with the 3D Lable) 

2 answers to this question

There are two options available at the moment that you may not be ware of. Last year VWX brought in eye dropper functionality for label legends. Essentially, get all the labels adjusted on one symbol to how you like and then pick-up the parameters with the eyedropper tool and apply them to all the other symbols that need to have the same label adjustment. (look for label Legend in the parameters section of the tool)

The other is a third party set of menu commands called AutoPlot which has a command called Copy Altered Label Legends which does much the same as the eydropper tool in VWX but with far fewer mouse clicks.

Hope that helps.

Edited by markdd

1 minute ago, markdd said:

There are two options available at the moment that you may not be ware of. Last year VWX brought in eye dropper functionality for label legends. Essentially, get all the labels adjusted on one symbol to how you like and then pick-up the parameters with the eyedropper tool and apply then to all the other symbols that need to have the same label adjustment. (look for label Legend in the parameters section of the tool)

The other is a third party set of menu commands called AutoPlot which has a command called Copy Altered Label Legends which does much the same as the eydropper tool in VWX but with far fewer mouse clicks.

Hope that helps.

I’m afraid it doesn’t. I’m already aware of them. 

If I have 32 movers in a circle. Then each of their lables will be a few degrees off and you still have to touch each and every one of them. Especially if there ‘s another 32 washes in between them. And the are lots of other situations with crowded designs that require lots of on the fly altering of label locations.  

The eye dropper and autopilot is useful but on a different level. I still have to move 7 handles of an instrument before I have a new layout to use with either of them. 

In fact I know the functionality of the autopilot plugin and this exactly should be the second functionality of the Label Legend tool! 

-First you you move all of the handles at once

-Then you copy the new layout to whichever instrument you want to. 

Without changing tools and with and with a few clicks and keyboard strokes.