Spotlight Improvements to Label Legends (Edit)

Sebastiaan

Question

Hi I changed the subject of this topic to make it a general wishlist for improvements to Label Legends. Please all add your two cents and don't forget to upvote! I could add good suggestions to the opening post so the Vectorworks people could read all of our wishes here. I call on all of you Spotlight users!! ;-)

Request:

-The position of a non rotating label should be placed only at the absolute and radial distance, and refering to the instruments insertion Point, just as it is placed in the Label Legends Layout. At this moment the exact position differs, depending on which instrument is used in the Legend. The distance of the label should be exactly the same as in de label legend layout, no matter which instrument is used. Also see both printscreens below. What you see are 12 different non rotating label legends (each shot used the exact same 12 legends) , on the second printscreen some of the labels get messed up because the instrument is not the same as in the label legend layout.

5ad5f56e08ed3_ScreenShot2018-04-08at21_10_21.thumb.png.21d74da37825c899c19dab7eff10965a.png

5ad5f58657ae0_ScreenShot2018-04-08at21_10_51.thumb.png.a1976aab3c4709fdf431951ef8b29e06.png

-The ability to move all, or multiple, handles of a label legend at once. Just like you can move multiple points of an interpolated surface. Perhaps this can be done in the form of a special Label Legend tool? Also see the screenshot of the editing of an interpolated surface. This ability would save users thousands of click and drags!!

5ad5f6f13edfb_ScreenShot2018-04-17at15_29_48.thumb.png.5bbe7b6199d6c0fc203616e0043bceb1.png

-The ability to use the exact same layout for a 3d Label as you can for a 2d label. Meaning that you can place two labels next to each other as well as above each other. 

If above wish is not possible, then perhaps the following could be a workaround?

-The ability to concatenate two record fields of a lighting instrument into, for instance, a user field. I like to have my Universe and Adres next to each other delimited by a "-". The same counts for Circuit Number an Name. I know how to work around this in Top/Plan view (except for the issues discussed in the first point in this wishlist). If this is possible this would make it possible for my 3D label to look exactly the same as my 2d Label, at this moment it is only possible to display selected fields below each other, not next to each other in a 3d Label.

By the way this ability would also make for nicer allignment of 2D Label legends that have labels next to each other!

-More flexibilty in placement of the 3d labels. At this moment it is not possible to place a 3d label exactly center above or below an instrument. The Label will "flip" left or Right as soon as the 3d legends X position goes below or above 0' . See screen shots below: Perhaps it is also possible to make the eye droppper tool usable on a 3d legends position? (I'm aware of the "Assign 3D Legends positions to selected" function, which is already great ofcourse)

This is what I can do now:

5ad5f70786c57_ScreenShot2018-04-17at15_03_31.thumb.png.dd9213d658dcc353e20df5f042443071.png

And this is what I would want to be able to do: 

5ad5f8eb189df_ScreenShot2018-04-17at15_38_18.thumb.png.687332faed3d6bbfb548f1169e5e1a6b.png

Edited by Sebastiaan

4 answers to this question

There are two options available at the moment that you may not be ware of. Last year VWX brought in eye dropper functionality for label legends. Essentially, get all the labels adjusted on one symbol to how you like and then pick-up the parameters with the eyedropper tool and apply them to all the other symbols that need to have the same label adjustment. (look for label Legend in the parameters section of the tool)

The other is a third party set of menu commands called AutoPlot which has a command called Copy Altered Label Legends which does much the same as the eydropper tool in VWX but with far fewer mouse clicks.

Hope that helps.

Edited by markdd
1 minute ago, markdd said:

There are two options available at the moment that you may not be ware of. Last year VWX brought in eye dropper functionality for label legends. Essentially, get all the labels adjusted on one symbol to how you like and then pick-up the parameters with the eyedropper tool and apply then to all the other symbols that need to have the same label adjustment. (look for label Legend in the parameters section of the tool)

The other is a third party set of menu commands called AutoPlot which has a command called Copy Altered Label Legends which does much the same as the eydropper tool in VWX but with far fewer mouse clicks.

Hope that helps.

I’m afraid it doesn’t. I’m already aware of them. 

If I have 32 movers in a circle. Then each of their lables will be a few degrees off and you still have to touch each and every one of them. Especially if there ‘s another 32 washes in between them. And the are lots of other situations with crowded designs that require lots of on the fly altering of label locations.  

The eye dropper and autopilot is useful but on a different level. I still have to move 7 handles of an instrument before I have a new layout to use with either of them. 

In fact I know the functionality of the autopilot plugin and this exactly should be the second functionality of the Label Legend tool! 

-First you you move all of the handles at once

-Then you copy the new layout to whichever instrument you want to. 

Without changing tools and with and with a few clicks and keyboard strokes.