Image Function in Worksheet

Hi Mark,

I got this answer from Pat when I postet this topic some time ago:

On 3.11.2017 at 6:17 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Classes are supposed to be set based on the classes visible when the worksheet is recalculated. It is currently broken in VW2018. Works properly in VW2017.

So the class selection for thumbnail pictures in reports is not only poor in VW 2018, it also seems to have a bug....

Just FYI, there was a large bug in VW2018 worksheets with regards to the =IMAGE function. I don't think it would have impacted this particular issue, but perhaps.

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/52966-vw-2018-plants-and-image-function-in-worksheet/

I was told that a fix will be provided in the upcoming SP3, but that isn't expected for a few months yet and again, not sure if it would impact this particular issue.

I have been lobbying for awhile for a complete rethinking of the =IMAGE function for reasons @Jonathan Pickupmentioned above.

44 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

I have had one client refuse to use these images because the images were not good enough for them. 

Hopefully, with enough community will power, we can push for a vector based symbol representation to correspond with worksheets rather than to current raster imagery that is often unusable.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Hi. 

I am having some "odd" behaviour with the IMAGE function in 2019.  Images are shown for about a third of the symbols in the worksheet.  Have checked classes, planes etc but to no avail.  I have also resized the cells so they are massive and tried various point settings - again, to no avail.

Not sure if it is a bug or not as am still fiddling, but having stumbled across this post looking for a solution, does any one know if it was addressed / changed in v2019?

Andrew

Hi

I have just converted my file back to V2018 and opened it.  Firstly, it was showing exactly as v2019 (with only a third of the thumbnails showing).  I recalculated the worksheet - and they all disappeared!

I don't remember having this issue before.  Maybe something got corrupted whilst converting back to 2018 - or maybe I am doing something wrong??

Edited by Andrew Davies
typo
  • Like 1

So I have done some testing in 2019 - see the attached.

You can see that two of the symbols (a better success rate than before) are not showing the image.  I tried and tried, but couldn't consistently re-create a symbol that did not show up using the Image function.

I then exported the file to 2018.  Again - the symbol images first disappeared from the worksheet once I did a recalculate.  But deleting and re-creating the worksheet is successful and all the symbol images show up.

So this must be a v2019 bug??

Hope we get this resolved or a workaround soon as I use the image function a lot.

I then re-imported the v2018 version, back into v2019 - and it worked fine.  Furthermore - there is some odd "pre-selection" behaviour in 2019.  Once re-importing the 2018 file back into 2019 - not only was the image function working - but that preselection behaviour was fixed. (See screenshots)

Andrew

Symbol Worksheet Count Test v2019.vwxSymbol Worksheet Count Test v2018.vwx

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 23.06.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 23.06.20.png

Edited by Andrew Davies

@markdd - hope you didn't mind me hijacking your thread - happy to move this to troubleshooting if that's appropriate.

So I have a work around for this.  Export from 2019 as vwx2018 file.  Open it in VWX 2018, delete any offending worksheets, recreate them (they should recreate just fine.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to fix an existing worksheet - they need to be deleted), then open vwx2019 and open the file and let it convert.

The worksheets should be behaving just fine.  So far for me, they have continued to work ok despite several changes / restarts etc.

Not ideal but any means - but a work around.

Does make you wonder how much testing 2019 went through - there are several bugs I have come across myself in just a couple of weeks of light use.