Illustrating walls with multi classes

Jim Smith

Question

In the past I have been able to show a footing by introducing two Classes one called S-FOOTINGS the second called  S-FOOTINGS-DASHED. S-FOOOTINGS would be a competent say 600mm with a conc hatch S-FOOTINGS-DASHED was two components 1mm wide on either side of the conc & a dashed line. I can build these walls, but when I turn on the DASHED & turn off the other I can't see anything.

The problem seems to be that the Class the Wall "Lives in" seems to override. I'd like in plan a set of dashed lines, & in section a footing 600 wide x 400 deep. As I say I used to be able to do this & I'm ether having a brain cramp or something has changed. 

Any Help?

7 answers to this question

It sounds like you are experiencing a problem with the concept of "Container Objects" Walls, Groups, Symbols, and probably many other types of objects are "Container Objects." They are containers in that they can have other objects "Contained" inside them. Since every VW object has a class, both the container and the contained objects have a class. And those classes do not have to be the same.

BUT, for a contained object to be visible, both the object class and the containing object class must both be visible. If either one is not, then the contained objects won't show.

In your case, it sounds like you have either switched to Active Only for your Class Options, or, more likely, you have gotten your container object set to S-FOOTINGS as well as the solid geometry inside the container. When you switch of S-FOOTINGS to invisible, ALL of the objects inside the container are also invisible.

Try setting the class of the container to something else that will always be on. It could be a third class you add, or you can just use the NONE class for all of your container objects and leave it visible all the time.

HTH

Thanks Pat, I'm good with the concept, & yes, for Footings I will often put the Container in None class. The issue is that this gives me a "White" Wall. In the example 602mm wide. In the past I know that I was able to get a wall where the Container object had no attributes but the dashed footing lines were visible. I can't seem to get that to work.

Edit the Wall Style. From the Definition tab click the Edit Wall Attributes button. Change the Pen Style from Solid to None.

The way you have the Style set, you are basically drawing double lines. One set of lines form the Wall Attributes and one set from the Component. By turning off the Wall Attribute lines you can then use the classes to switch between the solid and dashed settings.