View History in View Bar

ThreeDot

Question

14 answers to this question

I think the Site UnDos in a Browser are more what is the UnDo/ReDo in CAD.

For me it would be ok if I click a few times on a View-UnDo.

Yes, I think grouping all zoom or pan Actions until another Action was used

would be useful.

But What I do not like at all is that there is still no proper separation between

View- and Geometry/Data-History.

• Like 1

It needs to jump back through layers, sheets, and views to be useful. The current functionality is to click step by step backward (or forward) through view changes. This includes every zoom, pan, orbit, and navigation between design layers and sheet layers and can be really tedious. I would love to click and hold to display a menu, similar to a browser, that will jump back to a previous design layer or sheet layer without stepping through all the tedious zooms, pans, and orbits. This would all users to jump between layers, sheets, and views more quickly while still retaining current functionality.

That setting has no effect on the navigating forward or backward through views. I'm not suggesting changes to the Undo command, just to view navigation.

Here is a common scenario: I'm working on a detail on a design layer. I want to check a dimension on another design layer, so I click that layer, pan and zoom to find what I need, check a dimension, then jump back to my original design layer. Currently, I might click, zoom, and pan five or ten times to get that dimension, then have to back up through all five or ten view steps to get back to my original design layer. A single jump back to the original design layer would be incredibly useful.

• Like 1
Just now, Pat Stanford said:

There is a Group All option in the Undo View Changes of VW Preferences, Session tab that might be to your liking.

As ThreeDot says, this only affects whether/how view changes are affected by the UNDO command (Cmd+Z), not the "Previous View" and "Next View" buttons as circled in the original post above. I personally have the Undo View Changes option set to "Never" and in turn have no control over the view buttons.

As in ThreeDot's scenario, I too find myself always having to click the Previous View button 5-10 times. Some of this might be mitigated as I better incorporate 2018's multiple view panes into my workflow, but it'd still be nice to have better control over the view buttons.

It might just be a dropdown (when you click and hold the Previous View arrow) which has a list such as:

• Zoom Out
  • Zoom Out
  • Pan
  • Change Active Layer
  • Zoom in
  • Change Class Visibility
1 minute ago, Andy Broomell said:

As ThreeDot says, this only affects whether/how view changes are affected by the UNDO command (Cmd+Z), not the "Previous View" and "Next View" buttons as circled in the original post above. I personally have the Undo View Changes option set to "Never" and in turn have no control over the view buttons.

As in ThreeDot's scenario, I too find myself always having to click the Previous View button 5-10 times. Some of this might be mitigated as I better incorporate 2018's multiple view panes into my workflow, but it'd still be nice to have better control over the view buttons.

It might just be a dropdown (when you click and hold the Previous View arrow) which has a list such as:

• Zoom Out
  • Zoom Out
  • Pan
  • Change Active Layer
  • Zoom in
  • Change Class Visibility

I disagree. That would be too tedious and ambiguous. If I'm jumping, I don't want to jump to the third zoom twice removed from my sister's uncle. It's better to simply leap backward to the last known view on a particular sheet or design layer. Keep the current functionality to click, click, step, step through individual view changes, but give users an option to leap to the lats known view on a previous layer. For example:

1. Exterior Details (Design Layer)
  2. Plan Details (Design Layer)
  3. A-100 Site Plan (Sheet Layer)
  4. Interior Elevations (Design Layer)

Bumping this.

Also would be great, is if I could quickly bookmark a view before going from my 1" detail design layer and jump to my 1/4" drawing to check a dimension, like setting a floating point checkpoint in a video game.

As it is now, I publish a set of drawings to PDF, and open it in Adobe Acrobat, and switch between Vectorworks and Acrobat because my files are 2D heavy and take forever to render between views, and jumping in and out of design layers, sheet layers, annotation layers, and back makes me dizzy. Inception, anyone?

Another hot tip is to use the "saved views" panel to bookmark locations in you file, like "Kitchen Elevations" "Millwork Details" "Building Sections" 

Edited by JasonMichael
4 hours ago, JasonMichael said:

Bumping this.

Also would be great, is if I could quickly bookmark a view before going from my 1" detail design layer and jump to my 1/4" drawing to check a dimension, like setting a floating point checkpoint in a video game.

A slightly different take on this is the Previous/Next view buttons in the View Bar at the top of the screen. Not quite like a checkpoint, but if you don't go to far it can bring you back with just a few clicks.