• Announcements

• JimW

How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
ThreeDot

View History in View Bar

Question

I use the Previous View and Next View buttons occasionally, but they would be more useful if I could quickly jump backward or forward multiple views. Most modern browsers have implemented a press-and-hold back button to view recent browsing history. Here is an example from Chrome.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 12.40.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 12.35.58 PM.png

7 answers to this question

I think the Site UnDos in a Browser are more what is the UnDo/ReDo in CAD.

For me it would be ok if I click a few times on a View-UnDo.

Yes, I think grouping all zoom or pan Actions until another Action was used

would be useful.

But What I do not like at all is that there is still no proper separation between

View- and Geometry/Data-History.

5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

But What I do not like at all is that there is still no proper separation between

View- and Geometry/Data-History.

^ This is so much better in C4D.

KM

The main reason I think this suggestion would be useful is that sometimes with a complex file a view undo takes some time to redraw, and if I know I have to go back about 5 steps I don't want to have to wait for every step to redraw.

^ Ah, ok.

Forgot about that because I never have much redraw lags in 3D.

Just when 2D Plans and DLVPs in my Design Layer View, which

I don't mainly do.

And even that 2D stuff works very well for me in VW, better than

other CAD Apps.

@ThreeDotInteresting suggestion. How do you picture each line item of View history list being presented? That is to say, would each line list each action that was done, or...? 

It needs to jump back through layers, sheets, and views to be useful. The current functionality is to click step by step backward (or forward) through view changes. This includes every zoom, pan, orbit, and navigation between design layers and sheet layers and can be really tedious. I would love to click and hold to display a menu, similar to a browser, that will jump back to a previous design layer or sheet layer without stepping through all the tedious zooms, pans, and orbits. This would all users to jump between layers, sheets, and views more quickly while still retaining current functionality.

Check the Vectorworks Preferences, Session tab, settings for Undo View Changes:  Set to Group All or Group Similar and it might get you closer to what you want.