Why the DWGfile coordinates x'y are reversed

Neko_Akatsuki

Question

12 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

What tools are you using to generate the two label objects?

Left is AutoCAD2017 coordinate mark tool

Right is VectorWorks2017 stake tool

Screenshot background is VectorWorks2017

I gat the label objects process

Import  single DXF/DWG → Import Options→ Location → Align with Internal Origin

Can see this

1A7CCC75-3012-4AC3-B5B5-04912A9A1FD1.thumb.png.2419f0ef2c2ad985751ba1263532835e.png

Next step , I use Stake tool , and mark a position , Then you can see the difference

06CB0BB3-F10A-4CD1-B091-E98F8ED5CB51.thumb.png.ce8f5d78571019b4a3ff8e1e18cb0cfd.png00834427-901D-4913-B4CB-D7C749B7BF51.thumb.png.bad08ae9b02c54976c5b7d462d2aba90.png

I am not positive, but I think you are out of luck. It looks to me like they drew this sideways. Look at the differential values between the points. Find 2 points that are about twice as far apart vertically as they are horizontally. Put in contained dimensions to get the vertical and horizontal separation. It looks like the vertical dimension added to the X value and the horizontal dimension added to the Y value give the X and Y values of the second point.

You might be able to group all the objects and rotate the group 90 degrees and then use the User Origin to set the point values to the right place, but I don't have enough information on where the data is coming from to figure that out right now.

What is the units in the DWG?  1000 inches? When I imported it as meters I was off by a factor of 25.4, so that tells me it is in inches not meters, but the absolute values are certainly not inches. You will need to get the units right to be able to properly move the origin and get the right points. One of the Origin options is to se the next point to an XY value. 

Or if it really doesn't matter, just use a text search and replace and swap all the Xs to Q, all the Ys to Xs, and finally all the Qs to Ys. Then the values will match the reality of Y being up and down the page and X being across the page.

26 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

I am not positive, but I think you are out of luck. It looks to me like they drew this sideways. Look at the differential values between the points. Find 2 points that are about twice as far apart vertically as they are horizontally. Put in contained dimensions to get the vertical and horizontal separation. It looks like the vertical dimension added to the X value and the horizontal dimension added to the Y value give the X and Y values of the second point.

You might be able to group all the objects and rotate the group 90 degrees and then use the User Origin to set the point values to the right place, but I don't have enough information on where the data is coming from to figure that out right now.

What is the units in the DWG?  1000 inches? When I imported it as meters I was off by a factor of 25.4, so that tells me it is in inches not meters, but the absolute values are certainly not inches. You will need to get the units right to be able to properly move the origin and get the right points. One of the Origin options is to se the next point to an XY value. 

Or if it really doesn't matter, just use a text search and replace and swap all the Xs to Q, all the Ys to Xs, and finally all the Qs to Ys. Then the values will match the reality of Y being up and down the page and X being across the page.

Thank you for your help~~~

See you say " just use a text search and replace and swap all the Xs to Q, all the Ys to Xs " , this is what I want .

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This DWG uses a custom coordinate system. Converting the UCS back to the World Coordinate System and changing the Plan to Current shows the coordinates in the way you see them after importing in Vectorworks. 

image.thumb.png.3a8251716bfbc55afc7197ad0ce44ac4.pngimage.thumb.png.d7937a0983be815df05bc101bde49043.png

Original DWG

image.thumb.png.d681b05b26938e46af592a813e9d8b58.pngimage.thumb.png.30f393228cf625a6b3276be5a199c55a.png

Updated DWG (LP-3.00-WCS.dwg) and coordinates there

DWG file is set to Unitless, so you have to ask the originator of the file what are the exact units there. As coordinates, reported by AutoCAD are 1000 times bigger then the X and Y text (except that they are switched), then during import in Vectorworks you will need to set that 1000 DXF/DWG Units are converted to 1 VW Unit.

For example, if the X and Y text in the DWG refers meters, then set your VW document units to meters, and from the DXF/DWG Import Options dialog choose the Units settings as shown on one of the images:

image.thumb.png.1d0c80c4769f8e0f83d2e09a97af8a01.png or image.thumb.png.d3a0c7ec644693eb546fe26b5fda7b91.png

Then you will receive the following:

image.thumb.png.d62dbe0988cf68cdc9a0fce471002152.png

Hope this helps,

Nina