Shadows only rendering in OGL when a class is on that's unrelated to heliodon object

I'm having a problem with V17 design series. I've inserted a heliodon in my model so I can render with shadows etc... and am using this with a physical sky background. This is all working fine except for one thing. For a time the shadows disappeared and weren't rendering. I eventually figured out this was something to do with a class I had subsequently turned off because I no longer needed it. This isn't the class that the heliodon object is in. Turn that random class on and you have shadows. Turn it off and you don't. Having read around the subject I can't work out why this is happening and what the link to that class is. This seems important for understanding how to control shadows in future files. Any one have any ideas why this might be happening?

The Heledion tool has no other classes assigned to it. You could check that you are not greying out classes/layers as you switch between layers. Make sure that you have Show/Snap others enabled on both the class and layer options. 

I assume you have shadows enabled in Open GL if you are using that. Also, make sure that shadows are enabled in any custom renderworks setting you are using.