VW 10.5.1 very slow in OSX

I am having real trouble with speed with VW in OS10 (both VW and OS are the latest versions)

Once a file gets big (both 3D and 2D) with many objects it seems to take ages to select and deselect all (and redraws take for ever, and I can't use 'controll .' to stop a redraw) on a Mac running OS10, a file running VW on Mac OS 9.2.2 is faster than I can click my mouse but in OS X it takes 15 mins just to deselect all ..... what is the problem ?

I have had to go back to using an older Mac with OS 9 just to get some work done

has anyone got a solution to the problem ?

Hi Katie

I am running OS 10.3.4

I have verified and repaired permissions .... It still runs almost unbeleavably slow, like using Minicad on an old 7100 where you sit and wait 10 mins just to select all !!

why is VW 10.5.1 on OS 9.2.2 so much faster than OS 10.3.4 ?

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem as explained above..

and i am working with the same version of VW (VW 10.5.1) and system (OS 10.3.4).

before i upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3.4 i haven't experienced this kind of problem..

working on an urban planning project is almost impossible and pressing ?-a (select all) means not being able to work for at least 5 minutes because it won't stop the action even if you press -esc...

i don't consinder changing to OS 9 again because it annoys me..

if there's a fix for this problem i would be soooo thankful.

Klaus,

When was the last time you ran Disk Utility?

What other programs are you running while VW is running?

How large is the file you are working with?

How much built in memory do you have?

Overall OS 10 is slightly faster than OS 9. It's not VW that's slower, it's the OS you are running VW on.

SEKISAN -

Have you run disk utility to verify and repair disk permissions?

How about the answers to the same questions I asked KLAUS above?

Originally posted by Katie:

"Overall OS 10 is slightly faster than OS 9. It's not VW that's slower, it's the OS you are running VW on."

Katie are you saying that OS10.3 is slower than OS10.2? I am about to upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3.4. I will not do so if there is a speed penalty.

Would you please clarify this.

i repaired the permissions - still the same problem..

my powerbook G4 isn't the newest (550MHz, 512MB RAM)

usually i'm only running mail or safari paralelly to vectorworks.

but as i said, the problem didn't appear when i was running OS10.2, therefore i think it is a bug under OS10.3..

the general performance-speed hasn't changed between OS10.2 and OS10.3, only that the selection/deselction of numerous objects has become so time-consuming.

it would be helpful to know , if the same problem appears in VW11 as well.. in that case i would consider another solution for this problem instead of purchasing VW11

Hi Katie

I just ran disc utility again

I am running no other programmes in the background except 'Finder"

the file size is 29.6Mb

I have 768Mb ram on a 1.25GHz iMac

I know its the OS that is causing the poor performance of VW, I told you that ! ..... what I need to know is why is VW running painfully slow on the newest OS

AND how do I stop a redraw !!!!!!!

You can't stop a redraw.

To stop a rendering you can press esc and the rendering will stop after the last sent process is done processing.

That's a pretty good size file.

Do you restart every day, or do you leave the computer running all the time?

What types of things are you doing in VW?

Is everything slow, or only certain operations?

OS10.2.8 and VW 10.5x Mac G5 1.6 single 1.25 G ram

I was having trouble with speed of selection and moving objects. Everything seemed to take an extra second. After trying Katie's suggestion and a couple other changes the hesitation is gone.

here's what I did:

1. Restarted

2. Used coctail to repair permissions, cron scripts, purge cashes and cookies and prebind system

3. Quit all programs except VW and QuickKeys

4. Modified permissions of VW changing from Nobody to Me (does this make any difference?)

5. Removed a 4 files that were cluttering the desktop.

Questions:

I run Cocktail at least once a week. Is this often enough?

How often should my computer be restarted? Why?

With over a Gig of ram, can't I keep Mail, Safari and Preview open allways? If not,why not?

Last, if I toss the Mac and get a PC will this difficulty cease?

• Administrator

Hi klaus,

We have heard enough about strange slowdowns in certain situations on MacOS X that we believe there is something going on, but we have yet to find a consistent case which allows us to investigate. Would you be willing to work with our QA staff to help us narrow this down? If so, please contact me directly at pharr@nemetschek.net.

Thanks!

Paul Pharr

CAD Software Manager

Nemetschek North America

• Administrator

Hi everyone,

I'll give you an update on what we have found regarding this problem. Klaus was experiencing some extreme slowdowns on MacOS X in selecting and deselecting objects. He recalled that the same files on MacOS 9 were much more responsive. There were a combination of issues at play in his case.

First, his drawings contained many objects (over 100,000) at the top level of the layer he was working with. Grouping these objects or creating a symbol out of some eliminated the selection delay on the main layer. Nevertheless a selection slowdown remains.

Our QA staff investigated and found that the slowdown was introduced primarily by the MacOS X 10.3 upgrade after which a selection operation which would take seconds on 10.2.8 became a 10+ minute operation. We have reason to believe this has been fixed for MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger), but we will be following up with Apple to make sure.

If you are experiencing unacceptable slowdowns when selecting or deselecting objects on MacOS X 10.3.x, your options include:

Structure your drawing more effectively using groups and symbols to reduce the number of objects which must be selected or deselected at a time.

Revert to MacOS X 10.2.8

Wait for MacOS X 10.4

Thanks!

Hi

how do I revert to 10.2.8 ? when I only have 10.3 system disks

or

where do I find information about reverting ?

and what are the knock implications of revering on other applications system settings etc etc?

when is 10.4 available .... next week ? cos I've got work to do

cheers

Klaus

[ 08-05-2004, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: klaus ]

Not that I would know much about VW 10 or later, but I run VW 9 in Classic mode (MacOS 9.2.2), except when I have really big files - then I start in OS 9. Classic is considerably faster than OS X 10.3, so, Klaus, I would recommend that.

Going to an older OS version is quite difficult; I have the feeling that you can't even install a separate copy of the old version on the same hard disc/partition.

• 1 month later...

I have been running VW 10.5.1 and System 10.3.5 on a G5 dual 2 GIg. I have only noticed slowdowns when adding texture images from large folders. I have 2.5 GIGs of ram installed and was told that 2 Gig was minimum for most graphic applications on system 10.3. I suspect we all need more.

1. Would more ram solve these problems and how much?

2. Has any one tested a new machine fully loaded with 8 GIGs of ram?