Importing and Rotating Christie Truss

Rex Reid

Hi All,

Newbie question here - I can connect all versions of Christie truss (downloadedx from their site directly) in the top/plan view, but I can't rotate them in 3D space. I can achieve this with other truss objects using the Hanging Angle, but I don't have that option with these objects. HELP!

Thanks in advance,

Rex

Guest Beckstorm

@Rex Reid

There are a few different workflows for this. One being "Create plot and model View"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPVQ5nr1DDA 

Or 

In the OIP of the Truss click the "Draw 3D Only" CheckBox.  This will hide the 2D info and allow you to rotate the truss. 

The simple reason is that a symbol will not redraw the 2D part to be correct in Top/Plan, the straight truss tool will. The image below shows that the 36' truss would need to be 28' ish to be correct in Top/Plan.

5a25bbddb6bd3_ScreenShot2017-12-04at4_18_32PM.thumb.png.18e7f18102ee1ecd8738e71cafd6456a.png

Hope this helps

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's the weird part, when I select a piece of truss I don't have a "Draw 3D Only" checkbox in the OIP.  Really hoping to find a workaround since all of my installations use Christie truss. Or, is there a similar set of truss in the library that allows for this type of manipulation? 

Thanks, 

Rex

Guest Beckstorm

@Rex Reid

Sounds like your dropping in truss as a standard symbol and not a truss object.  If that's correct you might want to convert them to a truss object, you can find how to do this in Vectorworks help.  Also look at the truss poly count, if its high you should get rid of some of it as it will slow down drawing. 

The last option I have seen people do is to just draw the truss in 3D only, it will be wireframe in Top/Plan so not as nice looking but, you can rotate it freely in 3D.  Tip, I know a lot of users that will color code the truss making it quick to identify on site.  Example: 10' is red, 8' blue, 5', green and so on.

Hope this helps.

Rex,

It sounds like you should consider using either Design Layer Viewports or the Model View as mentioned earlier. At some point I would like to throw together a video detailing how to do that. It’s somewhat difficult to explain but it is really not that difficult and is very much a game changer. There is a well done video detailing the create model view on this site. I prefer the DLVP method myself as it fits right into my workflow without having some additional “help” from VW. Working this way has a lot of benefits that may not seem clear initially. 

Note: I have no idea how Braceworks deals with this but that may be an issue. Also, there is no way that I am aware of to export directly to a pre-viz scenario using DLVPs, though it’s not that difficult to sort out when the time comes for that. 

On 05/12/2017 at 2:11 PM, Rob Books said:

Rex,

not sure what version of Vectorworks you are using.  when we were prepping the Christie Lites truss for 2018 to use with braceworks, we had to do some cleanup.  also, if you are using Braceworks in 2018, the truss symbols on their website are not set for Braceworks use, you will get a dialog when you place it with the truss tools.  We will be releasing the Christie Lites truss hopefully in January to Service Select customers.

Thanks Rob I had this exact issue yesterday when downloading truss from the CL website.

Another VSS customer waiting till January..

10 hours ago, Rex Reid said:

Projx_CA, you're a life saver! This is awesome. 

Quick question, I'm looking for the 18' type A curve in a vertical but I can't find it in the files. Do you have this too? 

You need to create a new symbol for the 18' type A curve. 

Copy the existing symbol in the resource manager and rename the new copy to "18' type a curve - V"

Import the new symbol into your drawing

double click the new symbol (With Class visibility set to Show/Snap/Modify) and select 'Edit"

Edit 2D component

Select and delete all the 2D information - Exit Symbol (top right)

You now have a 3d only version of that symbol that can be rotated freely.