Board & Batten: Model vs Texture?

Long time 3d modeler, new to VW, working on a residential with Hardie board Board and Batten exterior walls. Is this something that would be better to model (the battens) and if so, is there a way to have a wall style with a repeating 3d element every x inches in a certain dimension? I can control the height with a component easy enough, but am not seeing a means to make something an element like a batten. I could do this with a texture and bump or displacement map, but that's not going to look great for the hero shots when it is front and center (well, left of center, but that's immaterial). 

Using VW Designer 2017 SP4 on macOS, if that matters. 

On 12/2/2017 at 11:32 AM, michaelk said:

I use a texture.  Unless it needs to look good in a "hero" shot.

In that case I model it.  It looks much better.

Yeah, that's what I figured I might have to do. Just was hoping I could get this as part of a wall assembly. Chain extrude will probably get me there fastest, no?

13 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Isn’t there a way to use the curtain wall to create a parametric batten grid? 

I've not used that tool yet, so I'll give it a whirl. Theoretically, I would think so. Does the mullion become the batten? 

Check out Displacement Mapping for textures with Renderworks.   You could create a texture that in theory could create the batts and even generate shadows.   That said, the only way to have precise control over the batt locations is to model them directly.   We have arrayed full height batts down an entire elevation and subtracted out the voids with extrudes making a Subtract Solid object.  Easy to edit the original extrudes for revisions at a later date.

I’m sure a texture can represent a batten system for display, esp with all the new bump capability. But the texture is not as helpful for metrics or sections or other details. 

10 hours ago, Joe-SA said:

full height batts down an entire elevation and subtracted out the voids

I think there was a thread a few years ago showing  the idea of a curtain wall to form the batten grid and/or using it to subtract voids for panels or decorative false joints. Maybe as a wall recess source object?

A separate curtain wall would need repeats of openings in the host wall. An array of extrudes might be easier - move by points or duplicate array to nail the separations. Cut or extend to the openings. 

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you are using 2018 the new parallax mapping (listed with the other bump controls) is a quicker and easier alternative to displacement mapping.  Parallax produces almost identical results as displacement (except on silhouette edges) with no speed hit and easier UI.