Jump to content
  • 5
Kaare Baekgaard

Stopping a rendering

Question

How is this still an issue?

 

I am waiting for VW to stop re-rendering a scene for the umpteenth time, because I accidentally made a slight swipe on the mouse, as the rendering started, and that is a very bad thing.

 

I have hit escape and command-period a few dozen times and yelled at the computer, but to no avail. I would force-quit if it wasn't for the fact, that I have failed to save for a while, and the auto-saves never ever regenerate objects with complex histories, and for some reason I still cannot deselect the completely unnecessary compression of autosaves.

 

So I wish I could just stop those goddang renderings, I don't think it is too much to ask.

 

Ahrrr.

Share this post


Link to post

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Agreed that there should never be an instance where you can't stop a render. It's gotten better over the years, but it still happens.

 

But to double check, if you're doing a lot of rendering, have you tried rendering with sheet layer viewports?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I'm pretty sure this is related to the math functions of rendering being handled by a single core. Because that calculation is single core there's no way to break out of it. Once everything is moved to multicore I believe this will be solved.

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 3/12/2017 at 6:18 AM, Andy Broomell said:

Agreed that there should never be an instance where you can't stop a render. It's gotten better over the years, but it still happens.

 

But to double check, if you're doing a lot of rendering, have you tried rendering with sheet layer viewports?

Yes, I do both types. But for large and heavy jobs viewports do not consistently render the scene correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

But for large and heavy jobs viewports do not consistently render the scene correctly.

 

Interesting. How so?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am actually experiencing this problem with sheet layer viewports right now. Even for light renders 2018 is failing with some regularity in Viewport renders. not very complex scenes, with relatively few light sources.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

 

11 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

 

Interesting. How so?

 

There are three or four types of errors, but knowing that they are there, I don't go looking for them, so I cannot give a complete writeup.

Two different errors in lighting, black background instead of white, the new shadowcatcher texture does not work in viewports and alpha channel fail – are among them

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, mjm said:

I am actually experiencing this problem with sheet layer viewports right now. Even for light renders 2018 is failing with some regularity in Viewport renders. not very complex scenes, with relatively few light sources.

I can sometimes fix this issue by changing the render mode from 'final quality renderworks' to 'custom renderworks' with the same settings.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yes, thanks. But how irritating to have to fiddle around instead of making progress and getting the job done.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×