Extrude along path (pipe)

I want to extrude along a path that moves in x,y,z axis.  However I want this to be a hollow pipe with a thickness to be determined.  I can extrude a solid circle along the path but not one with a hollow center and wall thickness.

I have seen some bring in the 3d pipe and use the deform tool? Is this the best approach? or is there some method to achieve this?  The problem I have with the deform tool is the path Im trying to follow.  It would be much easier if I could simply intersect 2 solid circles creating an inner and out diameter and then extrude along path.  However this doesnt seem to work.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 2.52.27 PM.png

Edited by HEengineering

Several ways to model.

Best workflow depends on need for edits.

Extrude Along Path with hollow profile is good because path and profile are editable

Profile is circle with center clipped out.

Path can be planar (eg 2d polyline or other shape), or  xyz (eg NURBS)

EAP with solid profile, then Shell is good because wall thickness adjustable via OIP

But Path is not directly editable.  Have to ungroup, edit EAP, edit Path (or profile), Shell again.

-B

EAP & Shell.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
Edit Shell

14 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Extrude Along Path with hollow profile is good because path and profile are editable

Profile is circle with center clipped out.

Path can be planar (eg 2d polyline or other shape), or  xyz (eg NURBS)

I find that the best method. This is also the way we create our pipes/ducts. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHELdSR75tA)

On the OIP you can select a material, sizes and a shape to create any circle, rectangle or oval profile including thickness based on the material sizes (hollow).

Benson, you should be writing the manual on workflows for VW.  I always enjoy reading your posts, and you methods. Always so informative.  I was able to make this work a few different ways, but the explanation on which would be editable at a later date is critical.  This is often the biggest hurdle we have with VW, you cant help but wonder sometimes is what Im doing the right approach?  Thanks!

@Hippocodecan you take a bunch of fittings that are symbols (part name & number) and insert into your system? so the only thing that gets adjusted is the straight lengths? 

then stretch things around in 3d like the wall tool and have everything stay connected?

also control items like inverts? i have to have a slope

please see attached (it had to be built invert to invert while maintaining slope)

081 System.vwx

Edited by digitalcarbon
18 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

@Hippocodecan you take a bunch of fittings that are symbols (part name & number) and insert into your system? so the only thing that gets adjusted is the straight lengths?

then stretch things around in 3d like the wall tool and have everything stay connected?

also control items like inverts? i have to have a slope

I'm working on the ability of drag and drop accessories on MEP networks. Accessories will be a combination of a symbol and the required connectors for it to connect to the MEP network.

There is already a basic dragging implementation where you can stretch parts of a network, but not in all situations. It will be improved though.

When right clicking a segment you can set it's slope, also when drawing new segments. It could be it's not the complete solution you are after. You can also draw from invert, bottom or top as centerline.