23-27 39 11 Pipe N-12 ISO Sample

Something I noticed when zooming close to pipe objects is that there seems to be a virtual "clip cube" effect as if there was a clip cube surface just a few inches into the monitor screen. I've never noticed this before. Anybody else see this effect?. It's particularly noticeable because the edges are turned on.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 13.55.27.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
19 minutes ago, markdd said:

Something I noticed when zooming close to pipe objects is that there seems to be a virtual "clip cube" effect as if there was a clip cube surface just a few inches into the monitor screen. I've never noticed this before. Anybody else see this effect?. It's particularly noticeable because the edges are turned on.

2 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

if you think about it in real life you would have hit your forehead getting so close...i guess that the computer is telling you that you are hitting your forehead...

Essentially yes, this is Vectorworks removing geometry from the space immediately in front of your view. In previous versions it just filled the screen with a solid facet a lot of the time and made it hard to get close to the objects you were working on.

51 minutes ago, JimW said:

Essentially yes, this is Vectorworks removing geometry from the space immediately in front of your view. In previous versions it just filled the screen with a solid facet a lot of the time and made it hard to get close to the objects you were working on.

That makes sense.

There is only one problem when VW irritates you by cutting geometry unwanted,

which normally happens if your drawing is too far from VW Origin.

Edited by zoomer

Yes and No.

It is problematic nearly everywhere else too.

But I agree that it doesn't manifest as much as in VW,

including Graphic System.

So beside the License Agreement there should be another mandatory opt in

checkbox asking the potential installing user to never ever draw away from

the VW origin, or pets will be harmed, before installation will start.

And as I experienced in some thread, the complicated User/VW origin setting procedure

even allows users to set a wrong user origin that makes you believe that your geometry

is around origin but isn't :)

I seem to remember earlier versions allowing a perspective view to “ pass through” a wall or solid object with mouse zoom. But ortho views would just bump into the object and no amount of zooming would break through to other side. Or am I thinking of some walk through mode that responded differently in ortho?

-B