Faceted Multiple Extrusion

Hi, Everyone. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of the facets on the white vessel at the top of this simple planter. It's supposed to be smoothe. It was formed by a multiple extrude and is rendered in Open GL with high settings. I did take a look at it in "Final Quality Rendering" and the facets remained. What setting affects this type of surface? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Planter A.jpg

1 hour ago, Steven Kenzer said:

Hi, Everyone. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of the facets on the white vessel at the top of this simple planter. It's supposed to be smoothe. It was formed by a multiple extrude and is rendered in Open GL with high settings. I did take a look at it in "Final Quality Rendering" and the facets remained. What setting affects this type of surface? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Planter A.jpg

I would recommend against using a Multiple Extrude, which often have facets like this. I would recommend creating that shape with either a Sweep or by lofting two circles with the Loft tool and then Shelling the result. I've attached an example file.

Kevin

5a20ac4216b7e_ScreenShot2017-11-30at5_07_21PM.thumb.png.5875baa35555c85245e6d12e4f85d370.png

Example.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister

This was done using the Sweep command......exactly what I needed.

Kevin, like Phil asked, when would you shift to using the Multiple Extrude tool? Just curious.

Once again, the forum here has helped me quickly to understand VW a little better. I feel very fortunate to have access to so many great VW users who are always willing to help others out. Although I've said this before, and on more than one occasion, thank you for all the help over the years. 

Planter B.jpg

On 2017-12-01 at 12:02 AM, Phil hunt said:

When would you use the multiple extrude tool against lofting or the sweep command

On 2017-12-01 at 4:13 AM, Steven Kenzer said:

Kevin, like Phil asked, when would you shift to using the Multiple Extrude tool? Just curious.

Glad to see my solution was helpful. I've found that the Multiple Extrude tool seems to bake in its own level of 3d conversion (eg. faceting) when working with curved shapes. You can see it immediately after creation in wireframe. In the little bit of testing I did, this level of conversion is fixed and does not seem to be affected by the VW Preference settings for 2d and 3d conversion resolution. For this reason I would avoid it for curved shapes. There are some very good instances for using it, including simple ones like creating a pyramid (square + loci) or a ramp (rectangle plus line). You'll often find that when curves are involved the shape alignment is off. If you want to create something using curves like circles, I would normally create one circle, duplicate it and resize the duplicate via the OIP so the alignments are identical.

Here's an image showing various shapes created using the multiple extrude. The smooth curved object is a loft for comparison. The front row of objects are unfilled to show the geometry created. You can see how geometry heavy the objected that include curves are.

Kevin

5a22fc1a795c6_ScreenShot2017-12-02at11_11_37AM.thumb.png.3d3bd75d3e9d3fcb8b4ed263e9842f2b.png