How do you make top roof component overhang the fascia?

Christiaan

Question

I see what you mean Tom: Adjust the overhang on the gable by clicking the blue grip, & adjusting the offset for each component except the outer finish.  

This is almost right, but still means the outer finish overhangs on the gable also.  If I offset the outer finish too then of course it doesn't meet the wall at the eaves. Am I close?

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.53.29.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.53.41.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.54.23.png

10 minutes ago, MGilc said:

I see what you mean Tom: Adjust the overhang on the gable by clicking the blue grip, & adjusting the offset for each component except the outer finish.  

This is almost right, but still means the outer finish overhangs on the gable also.  If I offset the outer finish too then of course it doesn't meet the wall at the eaves. Am I close?

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.53.29.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.53.41.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 12.54.23.png

I'm relatively new to all this myself but I did spend a bit of time messing around with the Roof tool + did create a gable roof that interacted correctly with the walls + looked correct inside + out at the gables. I did it by first setting up the roof-wall interface at the eaves + ignoring the gables. Then once the eaves were correct edited the two gables by increasing the eave overhang to get the roof finish projecting beyond the wall the correct amount.

1176257013_Screenshot2021-04-28at13_04_09.thumb.png.9ffa0afe62246d38d4cbfc5b6c8dcdc8.png

But I think @drelARCH's use of Slabs is really cool + I'm going to look into that because I prefer Slabs about 100 times more than Roofs: you can do much more with them + do it more quickly + more easily. I tried using Slab Drainage to create a pitched roof before but it didn't really work: it didn't occur to me to do it using two slabs like @drelARCH did so am going to have a play with that!

• Like 1
On 4/28/2021 at 1:55 PM, drelARCH said:

@MGilcthis might be not accurate to your situation as I dont have time to read all the posts but I thought I share my experience.

If you have gable roof and want to offset individual components from all edges then I would definitely go for slab with drainage settings applied. It might sound scary at first but it really works.

Here is example of two slabs forming gable roof, one with big openning to accomodate staircase.

119% = 45 degree slope

Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-28 o 13.49.18.png

Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-28 o 13.50.57.png

Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-28 o 13.53.13.png

Hi Tom,

greetings, can you please give demo how to setup a slab with the drainage tool?

that would be great.

thnx in advance.

Tobi

Hi @Tobias Kern  it was @drelARCH who suggested using Slabs instead of Roof objects so he will be able to answer more detailed questions but in the meantime to add a slope to a Slab you need to:

1.     Create a Slab.

2.     Select ‘Slab Drainage’ tool + activate ‘Create Drain Mode’ (2nd mode).

3.     Click on the two corners of the edge of the Slab that will form the eave of the roof i.e. the edge that the roof will slope upwards from. This will place drains at these corners.

4.     Activate ‘Connect Drains Mode’ (3rd mode) + click on the first drain then the second drain to connect them.

5.     Activate ‘Edit Mode’ (1st mode) + click on the blue selection handle for the first drain which is closest to the corner of the Slab which will form one end of the ridge of the roof then drag it to that corner. This will have the effect of forming a valley along that edge of the Slab. Repeat for the second drain.

6.     Now you can right-click on each valley (each edge of the Slab) + select ‘Edit Valley(s)…’ to open the ‘Valley Settings’ dialog where you can specify the roof pitch, either by % or by elevation. Repeat for the second valley.  

7.    Edit Slab Drainage Settings + increase 'Maximum Height' value to something above your ridge height to remove error messages.

Let me know if that makes sense. If not I can do a movie

• Like 1

I created a Support-Ticket yesterday, to the German Support for

the ongoing problems combining roofs and walls.

I got a response, that the German Support send the problem to the US for

investigation.

SP4 is coming this month, so there is hope, we can have a fix.

… but the hope dies last!

Greeting
Tobi