Texture Beds "interference"

domer1322

Can someone help me with this ....   when I make a texture bed on a DTM site model, they frequently show "interference" in 3D views, much like you get when two objects occupy the same plane.  It also appears as if portions of the underlying site DTM are "poking through" the texture bed.  I can fix the problem by going to the OIP and adjusting the elevation of the texture bed by a few inches above the DTM, but then the 3D image looks like it has a "floating carpet" above the DTM, instead of mapping perfectly to the surface.   How can I get the texture bed to map precisely to the DTM ?

I have never seen that.

And I have problems with setting an elevation for Texture Beds ....

The original Geometry for Texture Beds Modifiers sits anywhere in Z.

When applied to the Model it will be projected vertically on the DTM Mesh,

by tesselating itself by DTM Mesh's edges and cuts out that part of the DTM Mesh

Faces. So there should not happen any "pocking through".

What I have seen where problems that those TB Modifiers can get corrupt and

fail being properly being projected on the Mesh surfaces, so some vertices went

through the DTM. But as far as I remember the Texture Bed was not showing

at all (?)

thanks for replies ...sounds like there is no solution.  I usually think these things are operator error.    Benson:  I have also had the "duplicate DTM" error that perplexed me, but this time, that is not the case.  Glad to know I'm not the only one ....  guess that only happens to each of us just once.

Also (J Wallace):   I also find texture beds very tricky  ....    but is there any other way to use a Google Earth image for the site model with contours and showing 3D elevation changes ?

Also:  does anyone else notice frequent crashing when trying to render large sites using 3D extruded contours setting ?   It happens to me so much in both Open GL and RW  that I no longer even try to use 3D extr contours and always use 3D triangles.    

• 2 months later...

This may be a very obvious question, but how do you raise the elevation of a texture bed via the OIP?  I only have x and y location fields, and moving 3D or move by points in Z direction seems to have no effect.

I'm attempting to use texture beds for generating roads on a site model as a work around for having roads actually mapped to the site surface.  However, I'm getting the interference effect as others have described in this thread.  It would seem that if I could even give the texture bed a bit of thickness, then this would work.