Dash line of items of above; what's the best practice?

Jim Smith

I have an old wish list item for a fourth type of visibility - DASHED. We have experimented with symbols with multi classes & a Structural Layer for each Architectural Layer & this seems to work. We have a new project where we've been asked by the contractor to show on a framing plan: 1) the floor the framing occurs on 2) the floor below in grey & 3) the floor above dashed. 

The only way I can see to illustrate this (& not have to draw a bunch of dashed lines, that will need to be managed) is by having a floor specific wall type. Any other solutions out there?

I have done this with two stacked SLVPs, with one SLVP set to show only the DL of the upper floor with a Class override to show the walls as dashed. The other SLVP shows the main (subject) floor and the DL of the floor below is set to ‘Grey’.

Edited by rDesign

I have done this by making my wall style attributes set to "by class" then using design layer viewports, one for the floor above and one for the floor below. I then use class overrides to change the line type of the wall class in the design layer viewports.

For the sake of drawing tidiness I put the DLVP's on their own design layers but you could put them on dedicated classes instead.

I then have a sheet layer viewport for my framing plan with the DLVP design layers (or classes) visible. If you do this you need to make sure these DLVP class overrides are maintained in the SLVP. There is a checkbox at the bottom of the SLVP classes edit window.

This is a good way to get different visibilities or graphic attributes for objects on the same class but different design layers.

hope that is useful

cheers