Object Info Palette does not work properly in VW2018 SP2

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

48 minutes ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

The OIP randomly ceases to display information about selected objects.

Is anyone else getting this?

Please inform me on how to return to SP1 fast with service select – I am too busy to battle with this problem.

Regards

Hello Kaare; I wrote about this a bit ago, shortly after installing VWX 2018 SP 2. A restart seemed to have fixed the issue. @JimWasked me to send a file if reproducable, but happily, no joy there—so far.

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/53233-vw-2018-sp2—what-happened-to-the-oip/&page=0#comment-267145

Just now, mjm said:

Hello Kaare; I wrote about this a bit ago, shortly after installing VWX 2018 SP 2. A restart seemed to have fixed the issue. @JimWasked me to send a file if reproducable, but happily, no joy there—so far.

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/53233-vw-2018-sp2—what-happened-to-the-oip/&page=0#comment-267145

I restarted, but it did not fix the issue, alas.

Just now, Kaare Baekgaard said:

I restarted, but it did not fix the issue, alas.

First, let me say (as I did not in the first post) I do feel your pain. And lucky that gremlin has not raised it's head since. Hmm—can you send that file to JimW so enhineering can have a looksee?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 minutes ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

Sure, later. Right now I need to finish a project. Jim, do you know how to backstep to SP1 with Service Select?

You would need to completely uninstall Vectorworks 2018 SP2 and reinstall with a Vectorworks 2018 SP1 full installer. The quickest way to get a localized installer is from your distributor, if you use the standard US version I can send you a link directly.

Reversing to SP1 seems to have fixed it.

I am not going to update again until SP3, so I guess it will be hard to pinpoint the problem, unless it proves to be a general issue.

This is my hardware:

Modelnavn: iMac

Model-id: iMac16,2

Processornavn: Intel Core i5

Processorhastighed: 2,8 GHz

Antal processorer: 1

Antal kerner i alt: 4

L2-buffer (pr. Core): 256 KB

L3-buffer: 4 MB

Hukommelse: 8 GB

Boot ROM-version: IM162.0212.B00

SMC-version (system): 2.32f20

Serienummer (system): C02QCWCWGG77

Hardware-uuid: A8EFF701-E7A0-5C02-8A27-8E8A34904ED8

I have had this problem since upgrading to VW2018. I have just about done everything there is to eliminate the problem. I Cleaned my computer from any menu add ons,  virus application, validated fonts and clean install of High Sierra and VW2018....alas no change, the problen persist to pop up. In combination with the "UNDO" action that jumps back in history in random steps I am really getting frustrated. This is affecting my business...please VW solve these two bugs.

OIP palette malfunction.pdf

I had this UNDO problem previously and there was a thread about it. Here is what I posted:

"Spoke to UK tech support who have logged the issue and also had me delete the 2017 preferences/library from my machine. They said not to delete VW 2017 though incase I need to revert back to using it if this issue carries on"

I carried out the above and the undo issue has stopped. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Moved this thread to Troubleshooting, anyone else experiencing this please upvote this issue at the top left of the original post, thank you!

If you are able to replicate it on command however, PLEASE contact me directly with steps. I get this randomly myself and it's driving me nuts too, but so far havent been able to make it happen on command.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Do these two issues always seem to come at the same time, or do they sometimes present on their own?

The only time I've seen the OIP issue was after the Undo command jumped back many more steps than it should. I've only seen happen the one time, using SP2, and I had to restart VW to make it go away. It happened while I was editing a container object (multiple extrude) within a container object (group) which is where most problems I see with VW occur. It was a new file (an example I was creating for the forum) from a VW template. I tried to get it to replicate but I didn't have any success.

Kevin

On 29/11/2017 at 7:34 AM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

The OIP randomly ceases to display information about selected objects.

Is anyone else getting this?

Please inform me on how to return to SP1 fast with service select – I am too busy to battle with this problem.

Regards

Yes, but it happened with SP1 and the original release of VWA2018 as well as SP2.

I'd have to go back to VWA2017 for a stable release, and I doubt I'd get a refund from Service Select.

The problem doesn't happen all of the time – sometimes it takes an hour before the OIP behaves this way, sometimes longer, but today it was after only 15 minutes.

If I save the file the OIP recognises the object selected, but then I have to save constantly, for each selection.

A restart can help, but not for long.

A ridiculous waste of time.

Hi peterhill, I have the exact same experience as you.The different timespan between the moments when it occur is frustrating and make it impossible to analyze what is triggering it. Just when you think it has stopped...it comes back. I have been thinking about going back to VW2017 but at the moment I am on a deadline so I simply dont have the time and it seems wrong having to do it. I am hoping for a soon release of VW2018 / SP3 with a fix of this OIP issue as it is driving me nuts.:S

Not sure if this is related, but at least is another way OIP is not always fully functional:

1. OIP does not populate quickly if MANY objects are selected or if that giant selection is operated on (deselect, change view, etc). But it gets there eventually.

2. While it churns (beach ball), none of the OIP data fields are visible, ie not just that no values are displayed, but rather no fields are present. The Perim and Area text is the only visible element below the Layer field (but no values are present). During this churn time, the A & P characters have stacked up characters or some superimposed image.  This clears to normal text when the churn is complete, and the area and perim values populate, often with values in the tens or hundreds millions.

This is observed while working with giant sets of GIS objects imported via Shapefiles. After importing several layers for whole county or whole city (parcels, pave edge, building outlines, etc), the vwx file size is several hundred MB.  These georeferenced objects are centered about 300 miles west of the drawing origin.  So, quadruple problem - big file, tens or hundreds thousands of objects, data attached to each, and they are way distant from object origin.

I think I will have some questions about working with these data/object sets in another thread.

-B

OIP.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
muddy to partially clear?

Also having problems with the OIP since installing 2018. Particular issue with the data tab which refuses to display which records are attached to the selected object.  When this happens I cannot move the bar between the formats and the input section.  Undocking the OIP seems to allow the display to act normally, but I want to have it docked.