Print to Non-Postscript PDF

VW11.0 Windows XP Adobe Acrobat 6.0

When I print a drawing to PDF from VW, I get a dialog box saying "this file can be printed as Non-postscript . . ." When I select that option the conversion goes much faster than usual with the normal postscript translation. However, the fonts don't embed, so the recipient might not see the text as I intended.

Acrobat Help doesn't mention this option. Is it a new feature of VW11? If so, how can I embed fonts while using the non-postscript option?

Katie,

The Adobe Tech is not aware of a "non-postscript" option. It looks like a new feature of VW, which converts to PDF ten times as fast as the standard Acrobat/Postscript driver. So I'd like to know why it doesn't embed fonts in the usual manner.

The dialog box has a "VectorWorks" header. It says: "This driver supports PostScript but prints non-postscript much faster. The results may have minor differences in appearance. Do you wish to print with non-postscript?" The driver referred to is the Adobe PDF driver.

Can you check on this and let me know if I have any control over font embedding if I bypass the Convert-to-Postscript process? Thanks, JE

VW doesn't have anything in the print dialog box that prints to non PS.

We go on the print drivers for the print dialog box. Only a few things are handled by us in the Print dialog and they are in the VW section of the print options.

The font embedding is entirely left to Adobe to handle.

Are you selecting a Adobe PDF as the printer, or another printer and clicking on the Print ot PDF button?

Katie,

Adobe PDF is the default printer, set to print to file. It's strange that Adobe and NNA both deny knowledge of this feature which I never saw before installing VW11. It would be a vast improvement in conversion speed, but it still should embed fonts. Where could this new option have come from, if not from VW? I suspect that one of the programmers put it in and forgot to tell anybody. Thanks, JE

Katie,

After I click to Print from the Acrobat print dialog box another dialog pops up with a "VectorWorks" header.

It says: "This driver supports PostScript but prints non-postscript much faster. The results may have minor differences in appearance. Do you wish to print with non-postscript?"

Thanks for looking into this. JE

Katie,

I'm just checking to see if you dug-up any info about the "Non-Postscript" PDF print option in VW11. Thanks, JE

<

It says: "This driver supports PostScript but prints non-postscript much faster. The results may have minor differences in appearance. Do you wish to print with non-postscript?" >>

<>

Bummer! I use PDF specifically so the recipient of my drawings will see it exactly as I drew it, fonts and all. I don't have much use for a PDF without embedded fonts. What does PostScript have to do with embedding? Sorry, I'll ask Adobe. Thanks for the response. JE

• 4 months later...