Projecting an image

Shaquel Davis

Question

I'm currently working on a project where I will be utilizing projection mapping to design for a stage performance. I'm hoping to create some reference images for my plans in Vectorworks but am having problems projecting an image. I initially tried putting a texture on a thin extruded object and giving the texture some transparency. I then placed another solid non textured object in front of that, to serve as a screen, and then put a light behind the transparent textured object. However contrary to my expectations the light just shines right through the transparent object with no regard for the texture.

I have done some  research, and though I have not found a solution to my problem I've seen mentioning of RenderWorks and RayMaker. I'm not familiar with either of these terms or programs but I have a feeling that my problem is related to my lack of knowledge in these areas. perhaps I don't have something installed or my software is a bit old. however if someone could give me some advice on how to achieve image projection I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2 answers to this question

Assuming you have VWX spotlight, the simplest and most foolproof way would be to make a gobo texture from the artwork you want to use and project it using a spotlight instrument. 

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/VW2017_Guide/LightingDesign2/Creating_Gobo_Textures.htm

There are a few youtube clips if you google "creating gobo textures in Vectorworks" that you may find helpful.