Flat Ladder

bpaul.tech

I am quite confused on the ladder tool and how with a plot it visualizes in an overhead manner. 

http://www.livedesignonline.com/sites/livedesignonline.com/files/uploads/2016/05/25/1 LP FOH PLOT-Cirque Paramour 160506 72.pdf

In the top right hand corner for example, PROC BOOM LEFT has a 2D cross section of the boom, but the overhead view grays the fixtures and places them into a flat overhead view. I've tried playing around with viewports and creating something to that degree, but nothing seems to agree with me.

There's nothing "magic" about the Ladder tool -- it is just an aid for creating the position geometry, it won't position lights for you.

In your example, this is likely all just 2D drawing, with the overhead view being separate 2D objects.  This is my usual method for vertical positions: draw the position in elevation using Lighting Devices and draw a Top/Plan footprint using separate symbols.

If you do want to have these be a single set of objects, look at Create Plot and Model View...  Search the forum for numerous posts on the topic.

Josh: My method is essentially same as yours. I have been doing it this way because I haven't taken the time to learn Plot Model View yet, and the current projects have so many positions my head explodes just thinking about it. However, where I feel this method fails me is in creating renders with the plot I am drawing. Any insight on ways you work around that efficiently would be gartefully received.

mjm, Mark Doubleday had a great post/video on creating Plot and Model views, check it out here.  Basically what I have started doing is using the Plot and Model view in conjunction with the class and view ports.   So for 2D i have the definition layer turned on while the model layer is off and then when I need to make renders, turn the modeling layer back on to do the renders.  Then for the final plot, I use view ports to put "2D" definition layer where I need it to be in the drawing.  Hope that helps some ... check out the video, it's really helpful and useful.

Edited by robinson