Pixel Flex LED Products User Feedback

JustinVH

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

I am going to begin creating symbols for PixelFLEX LED screens and would like some user feedback.  In the past LED video screens have been either detailed geometry or simple rectangular plug in objects.  As a user which style of symbol is preferred for video screens, detailed geometry showing top profile and connection points or simple plug in shapes?  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, JustinVH said:

Hello all,

I am going to begin creating symbols for PixelFLEX LED screens and would like some user feedback.  In the past LED video screens have been either detailed geometry or simple rectangular plug in objects.  As a user which style of symbol is preferred for video screens, detailed geometry showing top profile and connection points or simple plug in shapes?  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Personally,  I like having both options available.  Similar to how the truss symbols have a "simplified" and complex class.    My .02     

Landru’s tools are pretty spectacular and quite useful. I use them for all my presentations and most of my drawings. There are times where it is important to show details of hanging hardware and that sort of thing so having some brand specific hybrid symbols can prove quite useful. If you are working for a company with specific inventory I would absolutely do this. If you are a designer then it becomes more about what level of detail you need to be able to show clients and/or shop personnel. 

Hello all,

Thank you for your responses so far.  I failed to qualify my initial question properly and I apologize.  I am one of the content developers for Spotlight at Vectorworks and I have begun creating a new library of for the PixelFLEX line of products.  I am just looking for some user feedback as to the preferred type of symbol for LED panels regarding simple 2D extruded rectangles vs. a more accurate 3D model showing connection points, handles and input sources.  As I am not designing for the field nearly as much as designers using Spotlight I just would like some ideas to gain a better perspective on how the resources will be used while drafting and rendering.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, JustinVH said:

Hello all,

Thank you for your responses so far.  I failed to qualify my initial question properly and I apologize.  I am one of the content developers for Spotlight at Vectorworks and I have begun creating a new library of for the PixelFLEX line of products.  I am just looking for some user feedback as to the preferred type of symbol for LED panels regarding simple 2D extruded rectangles vs. a more accurate 3D model showing connection points, handles and input sources.  As I am not designing for the field nearly as much as designers using Spotlight I just would like some ideas to gain a better perspective on how the resources will be used while drafting and rendering.  Thank you.

I wonder why both approaches simultaneously wouldn't be considered: Simple 2D autohybrid for the 2D plan and a more complex 3D object for those usages (I do second the notion of options for complex vs simple 3D as well).

8 minutes ago, mjm said:

I wonder why both approaches simultaneously wouldn't be considered: Simple 2D autohybrid for the 2D plan and a more complex 3D object for those usages (I do second the notion of options for complex vs simple 3D as well)

I don't know for sure, but if I had to hazard a guess: The Content team is trying to decide where their efforts would be most efficient. If one or the other was not needed, then offering a wider variety of 2d-only or 3d-only (oversimplified example) content would be possible than if the time was taken to create fewer libraries but with more comprehensive 2D and 3D components.

When I create symbols, I generally class various items to create simple or complicated models quickly. I know most users here complain about the “auto-classing” and I get that, but since my symbols all match my specific class definitions, it’s not an issue. 

My assumption is you would want to add in some detail as to how the units attach to a support structure, but probably not a lot of detail beyond that. I think you will find most users can get what they need from something like Landru’s PIO if that gives you an idea. 

Hello all,

Thank you for your input on the PixelFLEX LED panels.  After reading the comments and feedback the symbols will behave similarly to the truss which contain both a complex and simplified geometry.  The Video-LED class also contains a solid on the front of the panel for adding a texture or logo if desired.  The complex geometry shows the input and output points as well as connection points to interlock panels and some hanging brackets as well.