Image not rendering

NCSMITH

Question

Hello, 

I've been pulling my hair out for a couple of weeks- I'm trying to render the interior of a gallery- I've modelled the frames and figured out how to do the lighting (sort of) but for some reason however I do the renders the images inside the frames are not showing. 

I've tried drawing a rectangle (set working plane) and then imported a jpg via the resources browser then applied it to surface and amended the dimensions to fit- looks great in open gl- but when rendered they are not showing. 

I've wondered if it is perhaps because its a rectangle surface and not a solid so I have tried extruding it to make a solid and applying it as a texture but it is a tiled texture with repeats. When I untick the repeat I can't seem to get it in the centre or at the right scale. 

Can anybody point me in the direction of where I'm going wrong? I've investigated using it as an image crop but I don't want it stay in a fixed position. 

I'm using VW 2018- fundamentals and spotlight

Many thanks! 

N

Edited by NCSMITH

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure to create a 3D polygon, then create a texture from your image and apply that texture to the 3D face. 2D images work in renderings SOMETIMES but theyre unreliable enough in some of the rendering modes that I generally don't bother trying.

You could also create an Image prop from the 2d image, which can be done like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEVolcSveY

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Edit the texture in the resource manager, then edit the Image shader near the top left, you should see two checkboxes for tiling Horizontally and Vertically, uncheck both of those and click OK and OK.

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 9.26.14 AM.png

It should then only have one instance of the image and you can use Attribute Mapping to make it fit your 3D polygon.