Flat Panel TV symbol - Dual Pole stand minor bug

Scott Hill

Working on a booth design and placed a 70" monitor using the Television tool.   The client wanted the monitor all the way to the top of an 84" dual pole stand, so I put that into the "Stand Height" of the "Add Adjustable Stand" properties section.  It wasn't until a later review that I realized the 84" is the bottom of the monitor, NOT the height of the stands poles.  Had to find a real-world solution, as much of the rest of that area in the booth relied on the placement of that monitor.  

Granted we did this design very quickly and didn't check it over enough before sending to the client.  It would be nice to have the stand actually be 72" or 84" as in real life, and then move the monitor up and down relative to the poles.  This would show the poles sticking up like they do in real life.  A minor thing, but lesson learned.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Scott Hill said:

It would be nice to have the stand actually be 72" or 84" as in real life, and then move the monitor up and down relative to the poles.  This would show the poles sticking up like they do in real life..

Scott, a question for you (and, for anyone else interested):  Would you want a simple/single ""Pole Height" parameter?  Or, would you want a pop-up selection of stock heights - including a "Custom" option?  If the latter, what are your stock heights?

Andrew & Rob,

Thanks for the feedback.  It looks like the symbol is based loosely on the Premier PSD-TL60 (72 & 84)   https://www.premiermounts.com/product/psd-tl60/   so a pop-up or option dialog box with the real-world standards of  60", 72" and 84" would match those, and then a custom option so that can be , well, customized - which would be nice, because our shop just happened (literally) to have 108" custom cut poles that fit the bases - and that completely saved my bacon on this project.

I also attached the bracket adapter, which would line up with the center of the VESA pattern on the back of the monitors.  I used to rep for Premier a few years back - thinking maybe I should contact them and have them work with you to build a library set of their products . . .

BTW, I am a long-time AutoCAD user (mostly self-taught, though), and my company just purchased Vectorworks for our team.  I really like the tool sets in Spotlight, and am learning how to use them efficiently.  Just the fact that this is so quick and easy to place into a trade-show or event drawing, and then alter as our clients make budget changes is a real time and aggravation saver.  Same with the projection screen and LED wall tools.

Thanks again!

PSD-TL60_521_1376091220.dxf

product_file_PSD-HDCA_1_1391217830.dxf

Scott -

The stands are intended to be a generic/general representation of the several that are available in the "real world."

Below is a 50" screen mounted on 108" poles, but placed at 48":

I was able to do both a pop-up of stock sizes and "Custom" sizes.  Look for this feature in a forth-coming update of the Landru Design version of the tool.

BTW, your comment "and then alter as our clients make budget changes is a real time and aggravation saver" is PRECISELY what inspired the initial creation of the tools.

Rob -

The stand geometry is all created on-the-fly.  The only "content," here, are the TV models.  So, as things are currently structured, specific stand models couldn't be used if the intent is to keep things dynamic.  You COULD add stand geometry to individual TV models if you wanted to (like I did for the different "confidence monitor" versions) but you'd end up with multiple versions for every TV, ballooning the library - and, IMHO, creating far more work than necessary.  Just my 2¢US...

TV108.jpg

Edited by C. Andrew Dunning

Andrew,

We don't have the Landru Producer's Pack 3 plug-in (yet - will be working on that) but it doesn't look like the stock symbol controls can do that variation in height - unless I'm missing something. 

Nice to know you can throw something like that together so quickly and easily, but you're right, the additions of geometry options would bloat things up pretty quickly, and I imagine you probably have to put the brakes on that kind of thing quite a bit.    I will say I created a (very) crude model of the MVW55 and MVW46 wall mounts, because we use them on almost every one of our videowall projects.  Something like that would be a handy addition to the seamless monitors you have in there.

That being said, I have reached out to Premier about having them work with you guys on developing a product library - just because they should be in there from a marketing perspective.  Not just the floor stands, but wall mounts and other accessories would be a great addition for both the trade show and integration markets using Vectorworks.

Scott -

4 hours ago, Scott Hill said:

Nice to know you can throw something like that together so quickly

I try to be pretty responsive to users' needs.  Sometimes, I'm more successful than others.  Your timing was actually quite good.  Last shows of the year put to bed last week and things for 2018 haven't gathered much steam, yet.

additions of geometry options would bloat things up pretty quickly, and I imagine you probably have to put the brakes on that kind of thing quite a bit.

It is really a balancing act.  Sometimes, more intricacy is warranted.  Other times, it gets in the way of usability.  Others, it's just...to use your word..."bloat."

I will say I created a (very) crude model of the MVW55 and MVW46 wall mounts, because we use them on almost every one of our videowall projects.

As wall mounts are not something the tool creates, if you tend to use them repeatedly with the same monitors you might consider creating TV models that include them.  Once you know the formatting, it isn't at all difficult.  A bit ago I created a movie demonstrating how to do that:  https://youtu.be/ceP2MOpkGMI

Have a good one...