Error loading Vision Library

nahekul

Question

After a recent update, our office has been getting this error message "Error loading Vision Library" when loading Vectorworks 2018.

Clicking OK solves the issue but don't understand why this needs to show up every time. 

We do not have a Vision Library or work with the Vision software to begin with. 

Is there a way to disable the Vision Library?

5a14784e6aa44_ScreenShot2017-11-21at11_01_57AM.thumb.png.09bcfc1bdf00c4f70b3afde7c7a9c27b.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We want to grab the problem installer logs before you do a re-install. 

We know a re-install usually fixes the problem but we want to see if we can find out why the first install is failing so we can fix the problem.

An installer log form a problem install should give us a lot of information on where the problem is or more importantly where the problem is not.

Kevin

2 minutes ago, klinzey said:

We want to grab the problem installer logs before you do a re-install. 

We know a re-install usually fixes the problem but we want to see if we can find out why the first install is failing so we can fix the problem.

An installer log form a problem install should give us a lot of information on where the problem is or more importantly where the problem is not.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I forwarded mine to Tech Support as per JimW's post above.

Kevin

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Unfortunately that's what Tech Support offered as a solution. I had been trying to avoid it and hoping for a "scalpel" solution instead of a "sledgehammer" solution (using @JimW's analogy).  Doing so will mean I've reinstalled VW2018 twice and reset the preferences multiple times. Last year I had to reinstall VW2017 once. Prior to that I don't remember ever reinstalling VW, at least since the yearly releases started with VW2008.

Its time for better beta testing and cloud based user preferences that can be healed by Tech Support.... all these preference resets and reinstalls represent a fair amount of troubleshooting time.

Kevin

Kevin (love your book BTW), I agree. I've felt like stability has been on the decline ever since they switched from 18-month to 1-year version cycles. Simply too many resources going into bells and whistles (VR goggle integration) and not enough into debugging and user interface. 

1 hour ago, Nick Kargel said:

(love your book BTW)

You're thinking of Kevin Lee Allen :)

1 hour ago, Ben Wingrove said:

Will it jeopardize the chances of this issue resurfacing if I save and import my workspace settings?

The thought of re configuring all my layout/settings is very daunting!

I just did a full install after backing up my workspace file. I was able to drop it into the workspaces folder of the new install and everything worked as expected.

Kevin

On 7/3/2018 at 11:15 AM, nikihoops said:

I'm getting the 'Error Loading Vision Library' message again after updating to Service Pack 4....

Same here. Never had it before, on my own comp and had reset prefs etc already..... I am not going to fresh install 30+ machines in the office if this happens every installation.

Edited by ptoner

Hi

I think this error is related to MacHD/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks .... If I zip and delete there the Vectorworks 2019 Folder I have the same issues as above so it is obvious this could have a coherence with the described issue. 

If this Folder does not exists or have unsufficient permission, this message can appear. This Files seems to be created only if the installer was used for installing Vectorworks (copy/paste of Program Folder and pref reset in user Folder will not resolve that issue). A new Installation will create this Folders.

Edited by DomC

If you don't have a Spotlight Serial (If you don't need Vision), you could delete (zip and delete the original) the Vision Folter in your Vectorworks Program Folder, this will prevent error message (at least till the next Update).  I don't know how to get those Library other than get it from the installer or from another Computer which has installed Vectorworks.

If you don't want to over-install your existing installation (whyever), you could install a second Vectorworks (rename the installation folder) and delete this folder after that. Then also your existing installation will find the libraries. Also you could copy the Libraries (see above Path) from another Mac.

Hope that can help.

P.S.

I also had this Issue because I copy/paste the installation from another Mac (which worked the past 20 Years). 

@JimW 

Jim,

My VW18 SP6 program is sort of  having a meltdown.  I get a spinning beach ball (about 5 min) somewhat at random after selecting a function (dimension, rectangle….).  The flyover tool has stopped showing the origin point and may rotate about a global axis rather than the selected point.  I get the VISION Library dialog randomly.  The Snapping window will not stay open.

I followed all the suggestions for clearing out .plist files - twice - and the problem just moved around.  I have reloaded the .dmg with cold boot.  No improvement.

I tried to follow the instructions in this thread about deleting the RunTimeCache folder, but I can't find it (see attachment).  

What do I do now?

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 10.10.39 AM.png

MacBook Pro.spx

Edited by BenG
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 minutes ago, BenG said:

@JimW 

Jim,

My VW18 SP6 program is sort of  having a meltdown.  I get a spinning beach ball (about 5 min) somewhat at random after selecting a function (dimension, rectangle….).  The flyover tool has stopped showing the origin point and may rotate about a global axis rather than the selected point.  I get the VISION Library dialog randomly.  The Snapping window will not stay open.

I followed all the suggestions for clearing out .plist files - twice - and the problem just moved around.  I have reloaded the .dmg with cold boot.  No improvement.

I tried to follow the instructions in this thread about deleting the RunTimeCache folder, but I can't find it (see attachment).  

What do I do now?

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 10.10.39 AM.png

MacBook Pro.spx

In that case, contact tech@vectorworks.net directly. They can walk you through the process step by step.

Hi everyone, 

I got this error message after having updated to MacOS Catalina. Apparently the update deleted various vectorworks files in different locations. Restoring this one from the backup solved the issue for me:

Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/net.vectorworks.vectorworks.2019.plist

These other folders/files I restored from the backup to get the license and user settings work again:

user/library/preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.2019.plist

user/library/preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.license.2019.plist

user/library/application support/vectorworks

user/library/application support/vectorworks RMCache

user/library/application support/vectorworks-installer

user/library/application support/vectorworks-installer-wrapper

user/library/application support/vectorworks-updater

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks 2019

• Like 1