Error loading Vision Library

nahekul

Question

After a recent update, our office has been getting this error message "Error loading Vision Library" when loading Vectorworks 2018.

Clicking OK solves the issue but don't understand why this needs to show up every time. 

We do not have a Vision Library or work with the Vision software to begin with. 

Is there a way to disable the Vision Library?

5a14784e6aa44_ScreenShot2017-11-21at11_01_57AM.thumb.png.09bcfc1bdf00c4f70b3afde7c7a9c27b.png

4 hours ago, nahekul said:

After a recent update, our office has been getting this error message "Error loading Vision Library" when loading Vectorworks 2018.

Clicking OK solves the issue but don't understand why this needs to show up every time. 

We do not have a Vision Library or work with the Vision software to begin with. 

Is there a way to disable the Vision Library?

5a14784e6aa44_ScreenShot2017-11-21at11_01_57AM.thumb.png.09bcfc1bdf00c4f70b3afde7c7a9c27b.png

I too get this same error on my laptop install.    Desktop works fine.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

I saw this issue during development, but it is currently marked as having been fixed in 2018 SP0. 

What is the full path name to your Vectorworks installation folder? The original report was that any unicode characters in the path would cause the error.

It is installed in the applications folder:

/Applications/Vectorworks 2018

and

/Users/Luke/Library/Application Support/VectorWorks/2018

18 minutes ago, JimW said:

If anyone experiencing this issue could please send me this from their machine:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/articles.html/articles/directx-diagnostics-and-system-profiler-r202/

in a direct message, I'll file a bug and start adding info to it. Thank you!

I had it happen on VWA2018 SP1 until I uninstalled the application, discarded old preferences and reinstalled.

Still plenty of other bugs in VWA2018 for me – undos, and OIP failing to show info on selected items – but this 'Error loading Vision Library' dialogue has now been fixed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If anyone is experiencing this issue on Mac and you have NOT already wiped your preferences back to default, please try the following and tell me if it resolves the issue:

1) Close Vectorworks.
2) In your Vectorworks user folder: HD/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2018/Plug-ins throw away the entire RuntimeCache folder.
3) Empty the trash.
4) Reboot your mac.
5) Relaunch Vectorworks.

Thank you!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimW said:

If anyone is experiencing this issue on Mac and you have NOT already wiped your preferences back to default, please try the following and tell me if it resolves the issue:

1) Close Vectorworks.
2) In your Vectorworks user folder: HD/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2018/Plug-ins throw away the entire RuntimeCache folder.
3) Empty the trash.
4) Reboot your mac.
5) Relaunch Vectorworks.

Thank you!

Resolved my issue,  thanks!

1 hour ago, JimW said:

1) Close Vectorworks.
3) Empty the trash.
4) Reboot your mac.
5) Relaunch Vectorworks.

Thank you!

Ha doesn't work if you've already wiped your preferences (I couldn't help but try :D). As a side note, I've noticed VW2018 is cluttering the Application Support folder with other stuff. I was always impressed by how VW consolidated things into one folder in the past.......

Kevin

5a15a186dc747_ScreenShot2017-11-22at8_03_25AM.thumb.png.64a2084efcaf24b9f014a6225eb0da0f.png

We're trying to make it so that more delicate surgery can be performed to fix issues. Previously there was one big hammer (The Preference Reset) to fix even smaller problems but you had to decide whether to live with the problem or rebuild all your settings and workspaces from scratch.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

1) Close Vectorworks.
3) Empty the trash.
4) Reboot your mac.
5) Relaunch Vectorworks.

Thank you!

This did not work for me either. 

When you contact tech support about the issue please provide them the InstallerLog from inside the Vectorworks application folder  along with your system configuration. We have not been able to reproduce the issue on our machines an we need to see if something is going wrong with the installation process on specific machines.

I'm having the same problem. There's nothing about vision in my plugins folder. Been searching for the plugin to download, but can't find it anywhere.

Every time I double click an instrument to edit, I get "There was an error loading the Vectorworks Vision Plugin."

I'm losing my mind. I'm going to order a field template and Arch E paper so I can keep working in case I throw my computer off the balcony. 

I was having problems with the pallette positions not saving in SP-3.  So I used Jim's instructions to reset my preferences.  

Now I get an error message stating That there is an error loading vision library. Any ideas as to how to fix?

5ac38943b9338_ScreenShot2018-04-03at9_56_53AM.thumb.png.991ee84cef6befb181eeffd0f1808bfd.png

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Everyone experiencing this should contact tech@vectorworks.net directly, they will likely ask for the following:

2 hours ago, Nick Kargel said:

Full uninstall / reinstall solved it for me.

Unfortunately that's what Tech Support offered as a solution. I had been trying to avoid it and hoping for a "scalpel" solution instead of a "sledgehammer" solution (using @JimW's analogy).  Doing so will mean I've reinstalled VW2018 twice and reset the preferences multiple times. Last year I had to reinstall VW2017 once. Prior to that I don't remember ever reinstalling VW, at least since the yearly releases started with VW2008.

Its time for better beta testing and cloud based user preferences that can be healed by Tech Support.... all these preference resets and reinstalls represent a fair amount of troubleshooting time.

Kevin

• Like 1