Replace w/ Stock Symbols VS Insert Truss & Connections

If you use the truss PIO to rough in your design,  (maybe you're not sure what truss you'll be using yet)  but you finally solidify that and want to replace your PIO with stock symbols,  great.   How come when you do this,  the replaced pieces of stock symbols do not auto connect as a system as they would if you redrew the whole thing via the insert truss tool?      I'm using the same symbols for replace with stock symbols as I am for the insert truss symbol.    It seems to me like it should auto-connect.    Am I missing something?     Was this intentional,  overlooked,  or deemed unnecessary? 

image.thumb.png.3ebacdf238e9a0001a38a9169b572c76.pngV

Dear Wesley,

Works for me:

• Using the Straight Truss tool, place one 12m long on the page.
  • Make connection interval 3m.
  • Import a 3m horizontal truss.
  • Select Straight Truss and go Spotlight>Object Conversion>Replace with Stock Symbol.
  • In the dialogue choose the 3m truss symbol in the pull down.
  • The symbols will then replace the Straight truss.
  • Select one of them and go Braceworks>Convert to Truss. Say yes to all instances.
  • These are now all one truss system. Check in the OIP 'Select System objects" to confirm.

Cheers,

Peter

16 hours ago, Peter Neufeld said:

Dear Wesley,

Works for me:

• Using the Straight Truss tool, place one 12m long on the page.
  • Make connection interval 3m.
  • Import a 3m horizontal truss.
  • Select Straight Truss and go Spotlight>Object Conversion>Replace with Stock Symbol.
  • In the dialogue choose the 3m truss symbol in the pull down.
  • The symbols will then replace the Straight truss.
  • Select one of them and go Braceworks>Convert to Truss. Say yes to all instances.
  • These are now all one truss system. Check in the OIP 'Select System objects" to confirm.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter!  That does seem to work.   I am a bit confused why that convert to truss step doesn't just happen automatically.  But good to know that it's there.    I thought that was just for creating your own custom truss pieces.  

The 'Insert Truss' tool is like the 'Lighting Instrument' tool. Any symbol, even a chair,  inserted by those tools become Truss objects or Lighting devices respectively. Likewise the two commands: Convert to Truss and Convert to Instrument - same thing.

A 'Truss' is a higher level object than a symbol just like a Lighting Device. Think of it as a 'Truss Device'!

Cheers,

Peter

21 hours ago, Peter Neufeld said:

The 'Insert Truss' tool is like the 'Lighting Instrument' tool. Any symbol, even a chair,  inserted by those tools become Truss objects or Lighting devices respectively. Likewise the two commands: Convert to Truss and Convert to Instrument - same thing.

A 'Truss' is a higher level object than a symbol just like a Lighting Device. Think of it as a 'Truss Device'!

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the explanation Peter!   While that makes sense,  if you're using a Truss PIO,  then replacing it with stock truss symbols  (I get it,  symbols is the operative word here),  it would stand to reason they would be assumed to be inserted as truss more often than not.  I'm just advocating for saving a step (and unnecessary clicking, which drives me crazy),  I would think at least 90% of the time this would be the expected behavior,  as I most likely wouldn't be replacing the truss PIO with 10' long burritos.    :-)      Again,  I realize  (thanks to you),  you can convert from one to the other,   just commentary mainly on streamlining.    

I'd be curious of anyone else's thoughts on this too.   I totally understand and respect that we all have our unique ways of working.