Customize (with a z!) Built in Plug-ins

Hello,

I'm just playing with trying to customise an existing plugin to see if it will help my workflow. Through the plugin manager, last tab, built in plugins, then click customise.... you have some editing options to even add your own pop up menus. But, it does not save? I thought it might make a copy somewhere which is then needs to be bought into the work space? but no? you play with the fields, add your own options, exit, and then its as if nothing happened?

So does any one know where I'm going wrong? and if you can't customise them, whats the point of the option?

Thanks so much

After committing the plug-in changes have you then opened a new document and tested the customiZed plug-in?

To my experience, if the particular plug in had already been used in the document, then the changes will not appear upon subsequent insertions of the plug in. However, the same plug-in will appear with changes, in a new document. 

I've puZZled over this behavior in the past but have not come across other explanations. Of course i could be wrong. 9_9

Thanks for your reply

Yep I tried this, tried restarting, tried editing when there is no document open. It just returns to the default.

I'm not overly surprised its not possible to edit the default built-in content, but I did expect the customiZe function to make a copy of the built in plugins for messing about with. Else why have it?

Its true I've not tried every plugin. Maybe some can be customised, but the ones I tried failed to save the changes?

Also apparently customize is the original spelling? so google tells me, but I wanted to help others could find this thread! 

48 minutes ago, RDS Casa said:

Thanks for your reply

Yep I tried this, tried restarting, tried editing when there is no document open. It just returns to the default.

I'm not overly surprised its not possible to edit the default built-in content, but I did expect the customiZe function to make a copy of the built in plugins for messing about with. Else why have it?

Its true I've not tried every plugin. Maybe some can be customised, but the ones I tried failed to save the changes?

Also apparently customize is the original spelling? so google tells me, but I wanted to help others could find this thread! 

Regarding customizations, it's US spelling (to not offend any Briton language purists I didn't put English behind US -_-)

You could try starting VW as admin before customizing the plugins. One thing to keep in mind is that e.g. it will still put in default class names etc. in case you changed the original class names.