Worksheets

Stani

Hi,

I'm a Store Designer and currently working on database on our inventories in Vectorworks. I face an issue with the worksheets as I would like to combine a record files and instead of columns to convert them in rows. For example: there is a wall segment with a record data with different components. When I make a report all components come as different columns instead of different rows. Could you give me some guidelines how I can make the worksheet to contain the different wall segements and all componenets in rows instead of columns? Do I need to make a customized worksheet and set for each cell the different componenet? Or is it possible to make different worksheets for each wall segment and link them to a main worksheet?

Hope that somebody can help me.

There is no way to get a database in a VW worksheet to run in columns instead of rows.

If you can come up with the right criteria, you should be able to do a separate database for each wall type with the subrows being the components. You can then put all of those databases in consecutive rows of a worksheet and hide the database headers and you will have what will look like a single database with walls as the primary and then subrows of the components inside wall.

Ask more if this does not make sense.

I completely misunderstood what you were trying to do. Walls in VW are hybrid object and you can define a wall to have multiple components (Framing, insulation, inside facing, outside facing, etc.) I thought that is what you were trying to do.

But it appears what you actually want to do is attach a record listing parts that might or might not be drawn to a 2D symbol and have them report in the fashion shown in the Excel file.  That is going to take more thought.

First, I don't think you current idea of creating a separate record format for each wall type is going to work to get the information you want.

Here goes. Hopefully everyone else will hop in with their ideas also.

1. Create a Record format that contains all of the fields shown in the Excel file plus an additional field for the "wall segment" number.

2. Place an object in the Wall Segment Symbol for each item you want to show in the schedule and link the record to each object. If you don't want the objects to actually show you can just use a locus point.

3. Create a database using a criteria of Field is "Wall Segment Name" where you use the same value as in the wall segment field.

4. Create columns using the proper =record.field names to get the data you want. 

5. In the Amount column, you can either "draw" each object individually, or you can just enter the total number on a specific part in a single object in the drawing.

6. Summarize based on the Art. no column.

7. Sum the amount column. These two steps will get you a single line for each component part with the total number of parts used in the worksheet.

If you try the above and like it come back and I will help you edit the database criteria so that you can enter the segment type in a cell and have the database use that in the criteria.

Take a look at my modified version of you file.

Wall segments-PTS.vwx