I don't want DWGs published into a separate folder!

Christiaan

Question

21 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Christiaan,

On export or Publish to DWGs Vectorworks creates folders for each DWG file, because except the DWGs Vectorworks also creates accompanying files for hatches, referenced viewports, images, line types, plot styles. And in most cases these files have same names, so if there are no folders for each DWG, all these files will be overwritten and the result might not look good. That is why these folders are created.
When DWG export options are set to (as on the image):
not create referenced viewports in separate files;
not create hatch pattern files;
not create images and image files;
not create real line types;
not create plot style files,
then automatically on export to DWG folders will not be created. On Publish you will have only a folder for the document (folder, named after the VW document name). This additional folder is used to separate the sheet layers or saved views with same names from the different documents (and as a matter of fact, in case sheet layer names are same for two published document, currently PDFs and Image files will be overwritten, which is not correct, so we should actually add a folder for the different documents for the PDFs and Image files too).

Kind Regards

Vasko

ExportOptions.png

Is the problem that these DWG resources need to be exactly on the same Folder Level as the file

to allow access from the file?

Like for other Apps Exports I also may get a Folder with resources like images, which will lay in a Folder

with same name as the Export File. And especially for such resources like images, it is really welcome

that same resources with same name will be overwritten to avoid duplicates and redundant data.

40 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Is the problem that these DWG resources need to be exactly on the same Folder Level as the file

to allow access from the file?

Yes, because they are referenced with a relative path. That being said, you can move all folder contents together to a different location and it will maintain the references.

Plus that objects like images are exported as a numbered filename and if you would export several dwg files to the same folder you wouldn't be able to tell which image file would belong to which drawing.

Vasil explained all the other reasons above.

Depending on exported resources for hatches, images etc. you could pool them together in one folder but you may have to update some references to duplicate images to make all dwg files reference so the same image file if the same image is used in e.g. multiple presentation layers where it would get exported at least an equal number of times as there are exported sheet layers, but all with probably unique filenames.

(This would require having a DWG editor, like BC, to update those references)

4 minutes ago, zoomer said:

As a proud owner of the b-thing I would set a project and search paths :)

Congrats with your new family member, just don't let it make you feel swamped and have The (B-)Thing turn you into The Swamp Thing :P

Even though project and search paths could be a solution, you would still have an excess of files that could be trimmed down, and even with trimming down and search paths you would still need to replace the references to file names to the consolidated files.

2 hours ago, Vasil Kitanov said:

When DWG export options are set to (as on the image):
not create referenced viewports in separate files;
not create hatch pattern files;
not create images and image files;
not create real line types;
not create plot style files,
then automatically on export to DWG folders will not be created.

This is not the case for me Vasil. Even with everything off as image below I'm still getting a separate folder created for DWGs. And my associated bug report has been 'resolved' as Works as Designed.

5a0dafc1c4d1b_ScreenShot2017-11-16at15_30_10.thumb.png.df33460fb9a6a5352cabce5e1429f46b.png

Edited by Christiaan
3 hours ago, Vasil Kitanov said:

On Publish you will have only a folder for the document (folder, named after the VW document name). This additional folder is used to separate the sheet layers or saved views with same names from the different documents (and as a matter of fact, in case sheet layer names are same for two published document, currently PDFs and Image files will be overwritten, which is not correct, so we should actually add a folder for the different documents for the PDFs and Image files too).

Plus if you uncheck "Export Complex Line Types as Blocks" you will create .shx files for the line types which will require creating folder. This option must be set to On if you do not want folders on Export DWG (not Publish - Publish explanation is above). Please, look at the image attached by Bertf.

Edited by Vasil Kitanov
3 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Both.

Export creates a folder called [filename]=dwg

Publish creates a folder called [filename]

@Vasil Kitanov

I can and cannot confirm @Christiaan findings.

When Exporting as DWG I do not get a folder named dwg or filename

When Publishing I do get a subfolder DWG_DXF>Filename if in the file export option the create folder for each file type is not deselected

When Publishing I do get a subfolder with the filename if in the file export options the create folder for each file type is deselected

So it seems that with Export, at least on Windows, it works as you described, but with Publish I do get a folder anyway despite the settings.

10 hours ago, Art V said:

, but with Publish I do get a folder anyway despite the settings.

Yes, you always will get folders for DWGs on Publish, because

18 hours ago, Vasil Kitanov said:

This additional folder is used to separate the sheet layers or saved views with same names from the different documents

The option "Create Folder for Each File Type" creates or removes file type folder such as DWG_DXF, PDF, DWF, Image. Folders for the documents are not controlled by this option.

Best Regards,

Vasil

On 17/11/2017 at 7:33 AM, Vasil Kitanov said:

Yes, you always will get folders for DWGs on Publish, because ... This additional folder is used to separate the sheet layers or saved views with same names from the different documents

Thanks for persisting with this one Vasko:

1. I don't want it to do this. I'm not exporting Saved Views, just Sheet Layers. And no other resources except the DWG file itself. So no folder is needed. 
  2. It hasn't always been like this. There have been times in the past when I've been able to Publish DWGs and PDFs into one folder, with no additional folders created. 
  3. Little things like this count. The less complicated this process the better we can concentrate on actual design work. I shouldn't be manually tidying up files after an export.
Edited by Christiaan

No, my bad: even with Excel export on, the folders don't create. I tried with the wrong setting, stupidly.

Could a help string be added? We tend to believe that that option only excludes the PDF/DWG folder creation for collecting exports by type. We look into the 'DWG Export settings, but the options is not that one.

Thank you!

PS, you do know that the Excel export is not OK, I send you a report soon.