Unable to drag doors/windows from walls in V2017?

PastelF

Question

I'm trying to re-learn Vectorworks after a long break. I'm currently running a student 2017 license.

I'm experiencing an unexpected and seemingly fairly basic problem with objects inserted into walls in a file i've been working on. Basically, after inserting windows and doors, whilst i'm able to select them,  i'm then unable to 'grab' them and move them with the cursor, either within the same wall or to move them out or elsewhere. The only way to move them is by using 'set position' in the OIP. I can't even get the grab grip to appear on the selection cursor for the object.

This problem doesn't seem to effect other files I've been working with. However, when I take objects from these (which I know to work) into the problem file, they too become un-grabbable. The opposite applies if I use objects that I can't grab in this file in others, whereupon the problem disapears. Annoyingly I can't seem to isolate what the issue with this particular file is. I've tried switching between Architect and Landmark workspaces, varying snap properties, messing around with auto-classing, changing wall and object properties, but no dice with any. I'd really rather not have to abandon this file and start again, so any thoughts on what the problem might be would be much appreciated. Apologies in advance as I'm guessing this is going to turn out to be something pretty basic that i've overlooked...

9 answers to this question

Embarrassing admission time. I believe I figured out what the problem was. It's likely that I was using the 'top' view rather than 'top/plan'. Having checked, switching to the latter resolves the problem most of the time. Sometimes objects can't be grabbed on initial opening of the file, even in top/plan. However, inserting a new object seems to wake up that ability.

Sorry for wasting your time Jim.