2018 Title Block - Data Field Dragging/Reordering

Wesley Burrows

Question

13 answers to this question

Yes, please. I'm curious what defines this order to begin with, especially in title blocks converted from earlier versions. When you create a record format you have the ability to drag the fields into your preferred order, so my original title block fields were appropriately ordered. That order seems to be lost in conversion. @JimWis this supposed to happen? Shouldn't the fields retain their order in conversion?

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

That order seems to be lost in conversion. @JimWis this supposed to happen? Shouldn't the fields retain their order in conversion?

No. Yes.

This topic and others related to the new Title Block Border is under heavy review and will very likely be redesigned. Unfortunately I can't give any further details yet but the instant I can, I will.

36 minutes ago, JimW said:

No. Yes.

Ah, good to know.

37 minutes ago, JimW said:

This topic and others related to the new Title Block Border is under heavy review and will very likely be redesigned. Unfortunately I can't give any further details yet but the instant I can, I will.

This is both good news and immensely terrifying for obvious reasons. I'm sad that so many resources may go into redoing something that was just done when there are so many other things are still on the bigger list.

Thanks for your candour.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
35 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

This is both good news and immensely terrifying for obvious reasons. I'm sad that so many resources may go into redoing something that was just done when there are so many other things are still on the bigger list.

17 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

My immediate thoughts.

I think folks are going to be very pleased by how things are handled for the next version. Keep an eye out.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:16 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

Ah, good to know.

Thanks for your candour.

Kevin

Are you saying we have to wait until VW2019 to see these improvement/changes; or can we hopefully expect them in a future 2018 SP?

is there a workaround in place for the time being?  Previously, the order was determined by the order within the data record?

The new update seems to have randomized the order. Would be nice to have some way to order the entry fields as they appear in the titleblock.

2 minutes ago, ubybc said:

is there a workaround in place for the time being?  Previously, the order was determined by the order within the data record?

The new update seems to have randomized the order. Would be nice to have some way to order the entry fields as they appear in the titleblock.

As far as I can tell, you have to delete everything up to the point the order is correct,  and then manually add new fields in the order you want them to appear.    Tedious for sure.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
On 11/15/2017 at 8:35 AM, JimW said:

Just to follow up on my post from yesterday about open vs closed, if information about something were to be released early it should be about this...... 🙂

Kevin