MA2 PLUG-IN VW 2018 W/ MA 3.3.4.1

dmiller

Hi All,

I have not had any luck exporting form VW 2018 to MA2 using the plug in.  the lights are all in one lighting layer, lights only, and have all the data, fixture #, address, mode etc. and are placed in 3d position.  when I export it results in a .xml file with no data.  Any ideas or suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?  I am exporting by fixture type.

Thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://support.actlighting.com/knowledgeBase/11589467

*Note: There is a bug in Vectorworks 2018 for Windows that will not allow the export plugin to work properly (should be fixed in Vectorworks Service Pack 3 in the Spring). For now, use Vectorworks 2018 for Mac, or stick with Vectorworks 2017.

What I did was save as a 2017 file. Opened the VW file, and ran through the MA export. It worked fine. Yet another VW18 fail.

Interestingly, I also had this problem but I'm still in VWX 2017. Tried the export by layers and export by instrument options - neither worked. 

The export all in a single layer option was the only one that worked. I ended up going that route and doing the cut/paste layer on MA.

I suspect it's possibly the MA version 3.3.4.1 issue more than Vectorworks as I had no trouble with the plugin export on VWX2017 and MA3.2.2.16. 

Gabriel

12 hours ago, Gabriel Chan said:

I suspect it's possibly the MA version 3.3.4.1 issue more than Vectorworks as I had no trouble with the plugin export on VWX2017 and MA3.2.2.16. 

Gabriel

I've had success with 3.3.4.1. It usually takes me several passes of export/import before the data looks correct in the console.

Sometimes I'll do it in waves. It's always the conventional fixtures that get me trouble because I twofer them, and have multiple instances of the same channel that confuses the export.

What I do in that case is create yet another file, and delete all of the moving lights, and a 3rd file with all the movers, and no conventionals.

The movers get exported by type, and the conventionals in a single layer.

It all takes some hoop jumping but way faster, and more accurate than having to patch a large show directly in the board.

On 24/01/2018 at 1:08 AM, Mickey said:

I've had success with 3.3.4.1. It usually takes me several passes of export/import before the data looks correct in the console.

Sometimes I'll do it in waves. It's always the conventional fixtures that get me trouble because I twofer them, and have multiple instances of the same channel that confuses the export.

What I do in that case is create yet another file, and delete all of the moving lights, and a 3rd file with all the movers, and no conventionals.

The movers get exported by type, and the conventionals in a single layer.

It all takes some hoop jumping but way faster, and more accurate than having to patch a large show directly in the board.

Thanks Mickey, will keep that in mind on my next show. 

Cheers!

Gabriel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2018 at 11:09 AM, Mickey said:

https://support.actlighting.com/knowledgeBase/11589467

*Note: There is a bug in Vectorworks 2018 for Windows that will not allow the export plugin to work properly (should be fixed in Vectorworks Service Pack 3 in the Spring). For now, use Vectorworks 2018 for Mac, or stick with Vectorworks 2017.

What I did was save as a 2017 file. Opened the VW file, and ran through the MA export. It worked fine. Yet another VW18 fail.

So VW2018 SP3 is out, and it still doesn't work.

I'm curious to know what Vectoworks broke in 2018 that makes the plugin not work.

It does work fine in 2017. Sadly I have to keep my 2017 copy on my computer just to be able to use this one plug-in.

:(

Vectorworks 2017 latest service pack isn't without its flaws if I'm to be honest. 

I have only managed to run the MA export plugin when selecting the export to single layer option. And that means a lot of cutting and pasting of fixtures to different layers on the MA for a clearer break down of the rig. 

Exporting by position does not seem to work. Has anyone managed this and maybe would like to share?

Gabriel

• 3 years later...