Site Model Alteration

Good night guys,

I'm working a new project over a topographic survey and I want to change it based on a completely new design for its contours. As I'm working with another cad software, what I was thinking to do was to edit the site model by double-clicking on it, editing the "Proposed Site Model Contours" and pasting the imported 3D polys with elevation. Unfortunately, this way isn't working. Can you give me any advice on the best way to do this change: just create a new site model based on the new design of the contours (is there a way to "merge" site models?), edit the contours individually? I'm open to suggestions.

Best regards!!!

Sorry, I misunderstood.

You want to edit the proposed situation only.

As far as I understand,

those new contour editing modes generate these contours from the 3D DTM Mesh.

Which was once generated from the source data.

These contours, when have they got changes, are able to somehow manipulate the

mesh again the mesh .

And it looks if you go back and edit them again, these contours will get generated from

scratch by the updated mesh again. So not really existing.

And I doubt there is any way to add any new geometry beside drawing them in that

edit mode with the given tools.

So in your case I think your imported data is only useful as a backdrop sketch to

manually edit the contours to match your data.

Please correct me if someone knows better.

Desired outcome? Ignore the existing source data and its spawn of interpolated contours and just form a new proposed surface/mesh from all new contours?

I attempted via:

•Edit Proposed Contours (the edit window contains 3d polys which are copies of the contours generated from the Existing status model)

I would expect this Edit Proposed window to be empty when 1st opened.

•Delete All (leaves all the elevation marker text as locked objects)

I would expect nothing left after Delete All.

• Paste in copies of my 3d new contours prepared on another layer. Exit/Update.

I would expect a new mesh generated from the contours contained in the Edit Proposed window.

•Also tried placing the new, proposed contours as Site Mods via Create Objects from Shapes>Site Mods>Contours.

Both these methods seem to treat the new 3d polys as additional contours rather than replacement contours.

The Site Modifier sources were open curves. The Site Mod conversion closed them all.

It's my 1st v2018 exploration of DTM. I have been watching all the conversations here.

Have to experiment more.

This is a common need, so there must be a way.

+1 for @jpccrodriguesidea of creating two separate site models and a Merge function assigning one as exist and the other as proposed.

-B

17 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

+1 for @jpccrodriguesidea of creating two separate site models and a Merge function assigning one as exist and the other as proposed.

I have hoped for something like this for a long time. It turns out that the old way of using site modifiers to create the "proposed" site model was never as clean as using the same 3D polys or modifiers to create a new separate site model.

With both an existing condition site model and a separate proposed condition site model, I too have hope for some way to compare them/merge them to get the benefits of cut/fill.

I'm not surprised that additional data or substitute data cannot be placed in the Edit Contour mode of 2018 site models...the site model's workflow has never been the most intuitive.

The best thing I can propose with this separate 3D poly data is treating it like site modifiers by putting them in the class Site-DTM-Modifier and surrounding them by a Grade Limit Site Modifier, then telling the site model to use them as site modifiers (layer control) and updating/viewing as proposed.

This is my old methodology and still works with VW2018...however beware it will negate the use the new edit contour functionality.

2 hours ago, ericjhberg said:

The best thing I can propose with this separate 3D poly data is treating it like site modifiers by putting them in the class Site-DTM-Modifier and surrounding them by a Grade Limit Site Modifier, then telling the site model to use them as site modifiers (layer control) and updating/viewing as proposed.

This is my old methodology and still works with VW2018...however beware it will negate the use the new edit contour functionality.

Thanks for the reply Eric.

Just two questions on this procedure that you presented:

Do you convert the imported 3d polys into some kind of smart object?

How do you the referred operation to assign those 3d polys to site modifiers (layer control)?

Thank you very much for helping!!

Two answers...

1. No, leave them as 3D Polys, but obviously they need to be set to the proper Z values, they just need to be put in the class Site-DTM-Modifier.
    • Also note that these 3D polys may be breaklines, and not necessarily contours. This means that they define variable z values along their path and better define linear or planar elevation gradients
  2. Within the Site Model Settings, you can select which design layers the site model uses to look for Site Modifiers, I use this to separate out my site modifiers into different design layers to play with different grading concepts.
    • In VW2018, this option is located in the Site Model Settings>General Tab>Use Site Modifers on:
      • All Layers
      • Visible Layers Only
      • Same Layer as Site Model
      • Custom Set of Layers (Set Layers)

The best way to make this functionality work is by also adding a Site Modifier Object > Grade Limit to provide bounds for the 3D polys to do their work. Without it, they will interact with the Existing Site Model Source data very locally.

You will notice when using this operation that the result of using 3D Poly data as site modifiers to "propose" atop an existing site model, that the result will not be as clean as when you create a separate site model using the "proposed" 3d poly data as the source data. For this reason, we often use the functionality to determine cut fill, but will create an entirely separate site model for renderings.