VW Not Responding

RickR

Question

Anyone seen something like this?

In just this one moderately large project (85kb file) VW goes into 'not responding' for a few minutes. Then after only a few seconds, and no action from me, goes back into it. I can sneak in an action if it isn't too complex (save, change tool, pan/zoom) but I can't get anything done.

This goes on for hours!

I haven't made any significant changes to either the file or the system. Mostly I've been exporting and re-classing for a better export file.

Resource Monitor says ~13% of total CPU and similar other usage. Certainly not over taxing my system, and it all worked fine a few days ago!

Other projects seem fine at least the simple few I've tried.

Troubleshooting ideas?

7 answers to this question

Is the original file a pre-VW2017 file?

I did not have this issue until I opened a VW2016 file and then it became slow/non-responsive for that drawing to do even simple things like moving an object over a short distance

Files started in VW2017 and VW2018 don't have that many issue. When opening the VW2016 drawing in  VW2018 I noticed it was updating geometry, so my guess is that this might be a(nother) possible cause for the lag/slowness/non-responsiveness that several people are experiencing.

Edited by Art V

There are traces of pre17 files. I recall starting from a template file that has a long history. Some symbols may have a similar history.

The key thought is that it's been a 2018 file since SP1 came out, weeks!

I'm dreading rebuilding the file due to many external links and sheet layer viewports.

New info.

I managed to get to a different view and things were fine, till I went back.

• The one that worked is a 3D only wireframe.
  • The one that didn't is 2 layers in different orientations. A top plan in a viewport referenced to another file, a top plan of my theatrical stuff that I then managed to get to a front view.

More as it happens!

On 11/11/2017 at 9:20 PM, RickR said:

The key thought is that it's been a 2018 file since SP1 came out, weeks!

Do you mean that the file was started in VW2018?

On 11/11/2017 at 9:20 PM, RickR said:

There are traces of pre17 files. I recall starting from a template file that has a long history. Some symbols may have a similar history.

If these are imported into a VW2018 file, do you then see some message of geometry being updated or something similar that indicates some processing more than just importing?

I'm pretty sure it's not an upgrade issue. This file and it's referenced ones were started in 17 but the main file was based on a template file that goes way back but upgraded each year. I worked on it for several months in 17. A few weeks ago they all got upgraded to 18 and all was fine until last week. Interestingly I did some testing of 18 with this file early on, but deleted those upgrades.

Other news is that it seems that I can work in my main layer but only have issues when the referenced file is on. I'm going (eventually) to do some testing to see if it's just this ref, or all of them.

I'll be calling tech support soon.

My problem drawing has some imported dwg geometry, but that does not explain it all. Something is wrong somewhere in VW2018 but I can't pinpoint it yet other than pre-VW2017 files/elements seeming to be involved in some way.

Importing the layers with objects into a clean VW2018 file does not solve the issue. Perhaps copy/paste might, but that is going to be a bit of of a nightmare to do with this file.