Window opening floor level but cill not

nikihoops

HNY all.
Seeing as this thread looked at window insertion issues, I wonder if anyone can illuminate hoqw to align window frames (&door) with the outer brick face, ie flush finish?
Again, it isn't the newbuild parts I'm trying to model, but parts of the original building.
Many thanks 
P

19 minutes ago, pjjmcc said:

HNY all.
Seeing as this thread looked at window insertion issues, I wonder if anyone can illuminate hoqw to align window frames (&door) with the outer brick face, ie flush finish?
Again, it isn't the newbuild parts I'm trying to model, but parts of the original building.
Many thanks 
P

Hi pjjmcc,

Whilst the window/door is selected go to your Object info pallet and amend the 'Plan Wall Offset' under the general section. 
I hope this is what you meant

Niki

• 1 year later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 hours ago, gjw1980 said:

Hey folks. Have the same question as the original post and have tried the method @Matt Panzer suggested. However, I still get the undesirable lines in 2D. What do the window settings (or whatever else) need to be at to ensure in this instance the line would follow the narrower part of the wall? Thanks

Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 16.07.48.png

That looks like the Sill.  Try turning it off or adjusting its size

23 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

That looks like the Sill.  Try turning it off or adjusting its size

Ok thanks that helped a bit. I changed the class of the Sill and Header in the 2D visualisation settings > Visibility Classes to a hidden class which took away the horizontal lines. But I still have vertical lines as per screenshot. Any idea how to get rid of these @Matt Panzer or anyone else? 

Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 13.59.40.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 4:24 PM, TomKen said:

Here is my go at this.  Used two wall recesses and set the window into the opening.  I had to set the window opening wall recess to non plot class to turn off unwanted components.

I've attached the file if you want to check it out.  This only took about 5 minutes so not too complex.

Splayed wall 1.jpg

Splayed Wall 2.jpg

Splayed Window.vwx 4.74 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks @TomKen. I can't open the file (I'm running 2021 VWX). However, if you briefly were able to give me short bullet points of exactly the steps you took that'd help. I tried creating a splayed wall recess using AEC > Create wall recess (successful) but when I try and create another recess within the thinner section of wall it behaves strangely. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

On 3/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, TomKen said:

@gjw1980  Attached find the file saved as VW2021.   

Splay window 1.jpg

Splay window 2.jpg

Splayed Window v2021.vwx 4.71 MB · 1 download

Hi @TomKen. Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately I'm still not getting it to work. When I assign the 2nd recess to a class and then hide it, the opening doesn't remain. If possible, are you able to give me the exact steps in order, or a quick screen record? Thank you for your patience

On 4/4/2022 at 3:28 PM, TomKen said:

@gjw1980  post a VW file of your section of wall with the window and I will take a look.   If you opened the file I sent, you can look at the individual pieces I used to create the window,  that might help you.

Hey. See attached. Essentially the window this thinks that the wall depth is 600mm even though it'd been reduced in thickness by the recess so it's drawing the lines of the jamb too long.

Test recess.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, gjw1980 said:

Hey. See attached. Essentially the window this thinks that the wall depth is 600mm even though it'd been reduced in thickness by the recess so it's drawing the lines of the jamb too long.

The only way around this I can think of is to do the following:

1. The wall currently has no components.  Add a core to the wall, make its thickness equal to the wall thickness, and give it the same pen and fill attributes as the wall.
  2. Select the wall and set its pen thickness to zero.  Since the Window object looks at the wall's pen attributes for that wall break line, that line will now draw with a zero thickness.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 8.55.32 AM.png

Test recess-MGP.vwx

• Like 2