export 3d model from 3d studio max for Vector works, with best possible settings

Nodar

Hi Guys, I'm not a user of Vectorworks, but my client is. 
I modeled 3d object in 3d studio max and i want to export this model in best extention for Vectorworks and with optimal settings, so that my client can use it in Vector works. 
They are complaining that texture is tiling on a polygons, and it is not that smooth as it looks in 3d studio max. 

P.S. I can send a model per e-mail so you can check this.   
I would really appreciate your help, because i'm trying to solve this problem quit a long time and until now have no progress. 

Many thanks in advance
Nodar 

On 11/9/2017 at 4:43 PM, Art V said:

I assume you provided a 3DS file?

Can you try exporting to OBJ and/or Parasolid? Though OBJ is probably the preferred choice.

thank you very much ART V. 
I did export files into OBJ, 3DS, STL, DWG and DXF, so they can check the best option for them. 
Would you be able to check one option for one furniture please? while exporting in .obj i'm getting the window which is attached as print screen, maybe you can give me some advice which one can be the best? or shell i leave it as default? 

Many thanks in advance
Nodar 

21.rar

export obj print screen.JPG

The problem is that VW is not handling textures well in some cases because it has no proper U/V mapping for meshes/subdivisions as some people have already been complaining about, so it will look quite odd in some (or a lot) of spots on the model.

Regarding smoothness of the model, if they import the dwg file it will not look smooth, but in the object info palette they can set a custom crease angle to smooth the mesh. The OBJ import already contains a setting for that upon import and there it does work, the default in VW2018 is 50, but it doesn't seem to get applied properly to all formats except OBJ. Manually setting it to 20 for the other formats still makes it more smooth for the surface and will get rid of the polygon facets but you will still see some segmentation of the overall shape that will not go away by setting it to a higher number (e.g. 20, 50 (default) and 80 look pretty much the same when it comes to that).

If I recall correctly 3DS exports as meshes and not as solids, so there is not really a way around this than to adjust the model in VW to get rid of some of the mesh segment edges.

I would go with OBJ and export the textures for now, as OBJ seems to be preferred by others on this forum. I usually export my 3D out of VW into other format rather than the other way. So perhaps others can give you more additional information on the best format to import into VW.

12 hours ago, Art V said:

The problem is that VW is not handling textures well in some cases because it has no proper U/V mapping for meshes/subdivisions as some people have already been complaining about, so it will look quite odd in some (or a lot) of spots on the model.

Regarding smoothness of the model, if they import the dwg file it will not look smooth, but in the object info palette they can set a custom crease angle to smooth the mesh. The OBJ import already contains a setting for that upon import and there it does work, the default in VW2018 is 50, but it doesn't seem to get applied properly to all formats except OBJ. Manually setting it to 20 for the other formats still makes it more smooth for the surface and will get rid of the polygon facets but you will still see some segmentation of the overall shape that will not go away by setting it to a higher number (e.g. 20, 50 (default) and 80 look pretty much the same when it comes to that).

If I recall correctly 3DS exports as meshes and not as solids, so there is not really a way around this than to adjust the model in VW to get rid of some of the mesh segment edges.

I would go with OBJ and export the textures for now, as OBJ seems to be preferred by others on this forum. I usually export my 3D out of VW into other format rather than the other way. So perhaps others can give you more additional information on the best format to import into VW.

thank you very much Art V for so detailed description. 
I tried and gave them .Obj file, hope  it will be acceptable for them. Let's see.

Many thanks once again

Art V, please the last question. 
They accepted the quality of object, now the only problem they have is mapping, is it possible to give me / them a very short tips how is it possible to add a texture correctly? Is it possible at all? 
They try it and sent me this print screen. I attached print screen, .3ds and .obj files, i would be very thankful if you could give me some advice. 
Many thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

obj 3ds.rar

I don't need to look at the enclosed file, the screen capture already shows what I mentioned in a previous reply. VW does have issues with this kind of textures on such kind of objects/models and it is on the wish list to have proper U/V mapping for meshes and subdivisions.

The only thing you could try is segmenting the model areas that have a patterned texture to avoid distortions, but how well that would work would depend on both the texture and the shape and may not be worth the hassle in most cases as it may be a trial and error experience.

My models do not have such textures for 99% of the objects, and if they have a similar kind of texture it is usually for flat areas so it does not impact me, but for designs/models like yours it is a nasty problem that is not easy to solve, if at all for this kind of models/designs.

Maybe some of the fellow VW users have some suggestions to minimize the problem. You may want to try the architecture and render forums for help/suggestions as there are likely to be more people there who deal with this particular issue.