terrain modelling unusable for me

PO4

Question

hello forum

I'm now trying for quite some time to use the terrain modelling in vectorworks, but to no avail. As far as I'm concerned, this tool is not usable under real world conditions, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. If you look at the attached image, I have some 3D-Polylines set to the right elevation which define my model. So far so good. But I'm not able to get acceptable height lines out of it. As you can see on the top side there is a street with more or less parallel elevation lines. But vectorworks is somehow weirdly interpolating the geometry. The result is that in the finished model the street is not visible at all anymore. When I try to use modifiers to correct this issue, Vectorworks simply ignores the modifiers.

Has anyone of you had more luck with this tool?

Thank you very much for any help on that matter

Yves

3d-polylines.png

terrain_model.png

3 answers to this question

thank you for your reply!

The proposed and existing models are working correctly. I'm mainly complaining about how vectorworks interpolates the elevation lines. If you look at my screenshots above, my 3d polylines are perpendicular where the road is (as they should be). But as soon as they are fed into the DTM they are not perpendicular at all anymore. this is very arbitrary behaviour which makes the tool unusable for me (and I'm sure for anyone else working in construction).

New VW 2018 Meshing doesn't interpolate as before.

But the contours are just generated from from the Mesh.

If the Mesh is crap, the contours will be too.

You have to switch to 2D Triangles to see the problem.

If the Source data points form a rectangular area with different heights for its

4 corners, it will give a nonplanar shape. But the Mesh works with triangles.

So you can divide such rectangles into 2 triangles by adding a diagonal edge in 2 ways.

1 way may be more suitable for the terrain but VW (always) chooses the latter :)

Thank god, VW uses the Polygon Segments between its points of 3D Source Polylines

to also create mesh edges. This gives some user control to force the mesh to suitable form.

And it is possible, between "3D"source polylines that normally have one height only,

to add real "3D" polylines, like along the borders of the street, in a 3D view by snapping to

the 2D/3D source Polylines vertices. That also forces the Mesh to insert controled edges.

That may still not be sufficient and you may need to add further points or 3D Polylines.

Edited by zoomer