Wesley Burrows

Spotlight - Align Distribute Tool Crashes 2018 SP1 & SP2

Question

When using the "Align and Distribute Items" tool from the Spotlight tool set, VW 2018 SP1 crashes everytime I use the tool with fixtures on a hanging position.   The tool seems to work if the fixtures are just in some open space.   These were the settings I used.

5a0285f221cb0_ScreenShot2017-11-07at10_18_08PM.png.5d48292b2fec597dd8e43e4da70b4615.png

5a0285ed07490_ScreenShot2017-11-07at10_18_16PM.png.96e926e7d1e7891be52450483e648da3.png

Edited by Wesley Burrows

10 answers to this question

I can confirm this as well. Will you submitthiss as a bug?

Do you know about autoplot tools? These tools have several other ways to distribute fixtures.

Edited by markdd

8 hours ago, markdd said:

I can confirm this as well. Will you submitthiss as a bug?

Do you know about autoplot tools? These tools have several other ways to distribute fixtures.

Yeah,  I've played with them a little bit,  But not for a while.   There wasn't much in the way of documentation and I didn't have a bunch of time to experiment with them.

I just submitted this as a bug.

Edited by Wesley Burrows

PLEASE can this be fixed soon!

Edited by markdd

SP2 on Mac, same problem!

Very disappointing that this problem is not solved after such a long time.

Looking forward that this will be fixed soon,

We are seeing the issue when you use a Hanging Position that contains a Vectorscript Parametric object. Till we can get the issues resolved when converting a Straight Truss,  Curved Truss or Lighting Pipe to a Hanging Position choose the "Create Symbol" option when converting the objects to a Hanging Position.

1 minute ago, klinzey said:

We are seeing the issue when you use a Hanging Position that contains a Vectorscript Parametric object. Till we can get the issues resolved when converting a Straight Truss,  Curved Truss or Lighting Pipe to a Hanging Position choose the "Create Symbol" option when converting the objects to a Hanging Position.

Bummer,  according to Moritz Staffel @ Vectorworks Design Summit to avoid potential Braceworks calculation issues he recommends converting as geometry.   So I guess it's one or the other.

There is no problem using the "Truss" object  placed by the "Insert Truss Tool".  It is not a Vectorscript object.

If you are making structural calculations you should be using the "Truss" object as it contains accurate structural data and not a generic cross section used by the Straight Truss object.

That's helpful to know. Many thanks.