OpenGL Enhancements

PVA - Admin

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A number of users have expressed interest in a faster version of Hidden Line. If its possible that OpenGL could be modified extensively enough to include things like wall stacking line omission and surface hatches then OpenGL could be a feasible replacement for Hidden Line in many situations.

There are a number of items that users have requested be included in OpenGL:

1) Surface Hatches - Should display identically in size and alignment to Hidden Line and/or Renderworks modes.

2) Reflectivity, including blur, even if in a reduced capacity to Renderworks.

3) Identical texture scale and mapping orientation appearance for Tile and other non-image-based textures. Tile and Metallic textures being the most obvious.

4) Lit Fog. Vision has it in it's implementation of OpenGL but it would be useful in Vectorworks natively as well.

5) Gobo textures from lighting instruments.

6) Increase the OpenGL limit of 8 light sources.

7) OpenGL should be included as a choice in Renderworks Styles.

8) OpenGL's Draw Edges should reflect the line thickness of traced geometry rather than being based solely on screen resolution as it is currently.

9) Ambient Occlusion should be controlled directly in OpenGL settings, unless this can be removed as a concern entirely by #7.

If you have an interest in something like the above, or have something else you'd like included in OpenGL  please upvote this wish and/or reply below.

Edit: Altered the format of this post since it was replied to with solid ideas!

10 answers to this question

Just one comment, when using your example OpenGL as mentioned in the other thread, the line thickness when zoomed out is too thick relative to the actual line thickness (i.e. the lines should be thinner to be more realistic). When you zoom in more then it becomes more realistic.

So my question/wish is to have the line thickness in zoomed out view to be thinner than it is showing now, for smaller models this might not matter but for large(r) models it does matter (like the one I mentioned as example for hidden line render time)

Ideally OpenGL would work as fast version of the Custom Renderworks/OpenGL Background plus Hidden Line Foreground setup often used in Sheet Layer Viewports. As discussed in a thread yesterday, clearly the Ambient Occlusion setting should be wrapped into the OpenGL controls for consistency. I'm also not sure why texture shaders don't tile properly in OpenGL but they should even if its only used as a draft mode. I didn't realize this was an OpenGL only problem until the other day.

Kevin

OpenGL

5a0207ecf13c7_ScreenShot2017-11-07at11_18_58AM.png.4b3cd2ae08dd5d65f298a82814ac20da.png

Custom Renderworks

5a0207ee04a84_ScreenShot2017-11-07at11_20_43AM.png.4f7af9641edfb31c9d43b85bfba702b1.png

I would really like the Spotlight Instruments to show beams with shadows enabled in Open GL. I know the reason why they currently cannot, but It would be a real bonus if gobo textures and shutters could work in Open GL without having to resort to removing the solid fill from the wireframe instrument symbol.

I void OpenGL, so I generally wish it produced better (for me) results. I generally agree with the list above, but I also really wish for better texture visualization. I often feel that If I'm going to render in OpenGL, that's one set of textures, and if I'm going to render using Renderworks, that's another set of textures.

2 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

I void OpenGL, so I generally wish it produced better (for me) results. I generally agree with the list above, but I also really wish for better texture visualization. I often feel that If I'm going to render in OpenGL, that's one set of textures, and if I'm going to render using Renderworks, that's another set of textures.

Definitely a problem. If they were more consistency between them then it would be possible to use OpenGL for testing or drafts.

KM

I'm sure there are other threads about this, but I want to be able to control the "Default" light that exists when there are no Light objects. Specifically, I want to be able to achieve complete darkness when the ambient fill is 0, without having to insert a Light object and turn it off.

Additionally, it would be nice to be able to control the direction of the default light like you can in C4D.

12 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I'm sure there are other threads about this, but I want to be able to control the "Default" light that exists when there are no Light objects. Specifically, I want to be able to achieve complete darkness when the ambient fill is 0, without having to insert a Light object and turn it off.

Additionally, it would be nice to be able to control the direction of the default light like you can in C4D.

+1

I wish there was a better way forOpen GL to handle intersecting Geometry.  I understand the conflict of two objects occupying the same x,y,z but many of my open GL renders and quick presentation graphics get messy because of the garbled looking effect I get at overlaps.  I don't know if anything can be done, but just tossing this out there.

Oh and please add an AO checkbox from Lighting options to the Open GL menu.

e.

Edited by EAlexander
1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

I wish there was a better way forOpen GL to handle intersecting Geometry.  I understand the conflict of two objects occupying the same x,y,z but many of my open GL renders and quick presentation graphics get messy because of the garbled looking effect I get at overlaps.  I don't know if anything can be done, but just tossing this out there.

^ essential. Frankly, this should just happen automatically in all modes that draw edges.

1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

Oh and please add an AO checkbox from Lighting options to the Open GL menu.

^ yes to this too!

KM