Forum Upgrades - November 2017

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hey all!

Doing a little upgrade work, so you may see some intermittent behavior of the page going offline or locked for a few minutes at a time. There should not be any serious disruption and if we do need to distrupt things significantly I will make you all aware as soon as possible.

A lot of testing will be going on in forum locations you can't yet see, but once I have a list of the enhancements we will be going with I will make them public knowledge and explain their use.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One immediate thing I think many (including myself) will appreciate, dragging/dropping images into the forum editor should now place those dragged items in-line automatically, removing the need for you to drag to the grey box beneath the reply and then click the plus sign to embed the image in your text.

Users that have not added a profile picture or icon will now have a colored letter instead as a placeholder. This helps remove visual confusion if there are multiple participants in a thread that don't have profile pics, most noticeable on mobile UIs.

Users will be automatically prompted to enter a signature, including their hardware, OS and Vectorworks version information for easier troubleshooting.

The Reputation system is currently offline (the up and down arrows for posts, not the voting system for wishlist items and bugs) as we swap it out with something that gives users more granular control of how they can react to things, as well as hopefully remove the confusion some users have had between which buttons are upvotes and which are reputation.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Users will be automatically prompted to enter a signature, including their hardware, OS and Vectorworks version information for easier troubleshooting.

This is definitely a welcome change as it will make it a bit easier to respond with more relevant information.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

One immediate thing I think many (including myself) will appreciate, dragging/dropping images into the forum editor should now place those dragged items in-line automatically, removing the need for you to drag to the grey box beneath the reply and then click the plus sign to embed the image in your text.

One thing I noticed with screen captures is that it depends on the original monitor resolution how large the image will show up when it is inline, sometimes resulting in images that are relatively too large (i.e. it could be smaller without sacrificing legibility).  Is this something that is also going to be taken care of or should we still downsize screen captures from highres monitors ourselves if we want to avoid the screen capture to show really large?

15 minutes ago, Art V said:

Is this something that is also going to be taken care of or should we still downsize screen captures from highres monitors ourselves if we want to avoid the screen capture to show really large?

I've been debating how to handle this, and I think im going to alter the default insertion size maximum value. I personally view the forum mainly on a 4K or 3K retina displays when I'm not using a mobile device, so most images are sized reasonably, but when I see the forum on a 1080p or 1440p screen, a lot of the defaults are huge. I can change it so the max EMBEDDED size is much smaller (around 700px as i make most of my image embeds manually) and then if you were to click or tap on the image, you'd see it in full resolution and I think this will be the way to go.

Going to attempt to enable this shortly and if anyone finds issue with it, please let me know and I can tweak it further.

25 minutes ago, JimW said:

I can change it so the max EMBEDDED size is much smaller (around 700px as i make most of my image embeds manually) and then if you were to click or tap on the image, you'd see it in full resolution and I think this will be the way to go.

This is something I have noticed on other forums, to see the full size just click on the image, so I would consider this to be the happy middle ground for showing images as the user does not have to resize images and would like to see it implemented.

So a +1 aka zoomer's love button for that. (as a workaround until the real thing returns).

4 hours ago, JimW said:

Doing a little upgrade work, so you may see some intermittent behavior of the page going offline or locked for a few minutes at a time. There should not be any serious disruption and if we do need to distrupt things significantly I will make you all aware as soon as possible.

Yay for upgrade work!

Were the reputation arrows removed intentionally? I went to give you reputation for something and couldn't......

Kevin

10 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Were the reputation arrows removed intentionally? I went to give you reputation for something and couldn't......

Well the plan was to switch them immediately from the arrows to the new system, but its stuck at the moment. Once it's unstuck (web team is on it) there will be different options for things like "Thanks" or "This infuriates me" rather than just a flat Yes/No with arrows that people mistake for voting buttons.

The image insertion would be nice if it could Paste from clipboard to the insertion/cursor click point in addition to current process dragging in an image file.  For example, on MacOS, making a screenshot (Shift/Cmd/4) has an option save the image to clipboard (hold the Control key while releasing the drag) rather than creating a file.  Current forum process requires actually creating an image file then dragging (or browsing) the file icon to the forum window files area, then, often, finding the file icon again and deleting it.  Email and other software allow Paste at the insertion bar with no need for intermediary file.

Also OK to limit the display size with click/tap to enlarge.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
clarity
7 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

The image insertion would be nice if it could Paste from clipboard to the insertion/cursor click point in addition to current process dragging in an image file. 

6 hours ago, twk said:

+1 This would be a good addition

+2  from me, my screen capture utility has the option to put it on the clipboard so that would be useful to have instead of saving, drag, delete as it is now.

14 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

The image insertion would be nice if it could Paste from clipboard to the insertion/cursor click point in addition to current process dragging in an image file.

Give this a try now! If it works or doesn't, please reply back with that info as well as what OS and what browser you are using.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Give this a try now! If it works or doesn't, please reply back with that info as well as what OS and what browser you are using.

image.png.dbd891139d5d0dc8845e3bd2c04991cc.png

The above screen capture to clipboard pasted in here, so it works. Using the latest Firefox 56.0.2 64-bit on Win 10 (creator update)

1 hour ago, Christiaan said:

Great to know things are being continually improved Jim :)

So easy to do a big upgrade and then leave it at that.

Glad it's liked!

These changes I've mentioned in the thread so far are the smaller bits that don't require any/many CSS reworks to accommodate, there are a few more larger items we are still in the process of bringing online that should be useful.

19 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Also OK to limit the display size with click/tap to enlarge.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:58 PM, Art V said:

Is this something that is also going to be taken care of or should we still downsize screen captures from highres monitors ourselves if we want to avoid the screen capture to show really large?

Going to try again on this later. When I attempted to modify the defautl size it started blocking image uploads entirely. I have this on my list to revisit with the web team soon.

Something Brocken???

I dragged and dropped (on another thread) and it worked! - Thanks.

But (theres always a but) now it won't allow further screenshots to be placed - even by uploading to the 'container' first.

I get..

5a02f0d337e70_ScreenShot2017-11-08at11_52_07.png.515a9dc73c890be1a87b4589375cb843.png

Which, incidentally, I have dragged into place here as well. (still works - yeh)

Now I'll try to add to this .......Nah doesn't like that.

For information - the image above is only 36kb and the one I next tried and failed with is 192kb so its not a size issue.

@JimWare you still playing with this and you know about the issue?

1 hour ago, Gadzooks said:

@JimWare you still playing with this and you know about the issue?

Yes, this is happening for me with high res images, so basically screenshots of whole retina screens and above. Still poking at it to try and get it to accept large images but not display them so large inline within posts by default.

Just now, EAlexander said:

Hi @JimW- looks like search is broken.  Search for 'Extrude' is giving me zero results :)  I was trying to find something else common with no luck, so I tested some key phrases and I'm getting nada.

Poking at it now, it seems to be resetting the default search to "Status" posts, if you expand the search options and reset it to all content its seeming to work fine after that.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, JimW said:

Poking at it now, it seems to be resetting the default search to "Status" posts, if you expand the search options and reset it to all content its seeming to work fine after that.

Still seems to be defaulting to "Status" searches. Any update on this?

Also, are inline images now limited to 500px wide? I tried inserting one into a post and it's entirely too small. Most images used to be too huge, now they're too tiny.

The weird thing is when I double-click the inline image it actually displays a width of "0", but when I type in a number >500 it says "Value must be equal to or less then 500". If there's going to be a limit could it at least be a width of perhaps 1024px?

On 11/8/2017 at 2:49 PM, EAlexander said:

Hi @JimW- looks like search is broken.  Search for 'Extrude' is giving me zero results :)  I was trying to find something else common with no luck, so I tested some key phrases and I'm getting nada.

Chrome Version 62.0.3202.89 (Official Build) (64-bit) on OSX 10.11.6

Confirmed with IPS (the people that make the platform we built the forum on) that this is a bug and should be fixed in their next update.